Wanting a tattoo, few questions

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Puffer Chick, Mar 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Forever is a long time...I would think really long and hard before getting a tattoo...With a very few exceptions, all the folks I know, especailly the girls, that got a tattoo in college regret it today...and are getting them removed (Painful and expensive). I was in college in the early 90's and tattoos were all the rage then, so I know a lot of folks in this situation.

I have nothing against tattoos, and can appreciate them...just want to pass along my observations.

Personally, I'd put the $200 into your reef tank...and then later down the road, use the $2K that you would have to spend to get the tattoo removed on a new kick A$$ tank. :)

2. Click Here!

3. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

If you're in California, there are lots of really good AND really bad places to go. I think the best advice in finding a shop is ask people that you see with really good artwork. Most good tattoo shops will have several artists to choose from that specialize in different types of ink. For example, while one guy/ girl might be really good at old school flash, another may be really good at black/ grey ink, and you'll normally find someone who has really amazing coloring ability.

If you want some really badass work, California is one of the best places around, though.

I wouldn't go to LA ink though, that place kinda sucks... don't get me started.

I'd say that out of every 20 tattoo shops you come across, there is probably one good one, or maybe less than that.

I have a few tattoos, more than I can count... and lots of friends that are COVERED.

Trust me, you won't want just one!!! ;)

Also, I think the seahorse and horse shoe idea is great, if done really well... Look at sailor jerry artwork, there is a lot of old school nautical designs that you could play off of, if you like that style (I always think classic is better, but that's me). And the horse shoe is a really common old school tattoo, which is cool.

Here is a Sailor Jerry seahorse I found by googling... it's pretty cool (I may just have to get this myself, hahaha):

[​IMG]

The cool thing about old school tattoos is that they are fairly simple while looking good and will stand the test of time.

Also, be aware that a lot of the tattoo pictures you find online really suck. I find it very difficult to find good tattoo artwork online... I think part of the reason is that good artists are protective of their work. Fortunately, you can find Sailor Jerry's stuff online since his artwork has been around for ages.

Finally, when you get a recommendation for an artist, go to their shop and look at their portfolio. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and if they are a **** about it, go somewhere else. Most good artists are very nice people. Also, don't be afraid to go somewhere else if you don't like their work.

4. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

My bit of advice, I have 2 tattoos so far:

Do not drink any alcohol before getting a tattoo
    Think LONG AND HARD about where you place it. Something may look nice and cute on your hip, back, stomach etc but it won't always necessarity fare too well with some placement areas.
    Make sure it's a reputable CLEAN place. If you don't see them opening sterile items, leave.

5. gabbagabbawill

Also, safety and cleanliness is a HUGE concern. Go to a reputable place that is CLEAN and practices safe tattooing... while that seems like a no brainer, you might be surprised... it's one of the reasons that my tattoo artist friends hate LA/ miami ink because they practice unsafe and unclean methods ON TV!

6. gabbagabbawill

You're getting a lot of good advice here... and I just thought of one more thing after reading the above commenter's posts...

If you find a really good artist and you know they do good work, LISTEN to them. It is your body, and ultimately your decision, but they have seen and done way more tattoos than you ever will, so be willing to take their advice on color/ placement/ size... if they are GOOD, they will steer you in the right direction. That's why it's good to go to a place that you're comfortable with and can TRUST.

I trust my artists 100% and they have always given me advice that turns out better than my original intentions, but I can say I'm lucky to have the friends I do and have been to some really good artists.

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

It's gonna hurt like hell! :hothead:
    EDIT: Fast artists are the expensive ones. Good work and fast = la ink prices

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol:

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

+1 100% make sure it's a clean & reputable place, they should have no problems opening a fresh needle in front of you. If they say anything like "we use an autoclave/etc to sterilize" don't accept that. They should also be able to show you some type of health permit license.

I had a little scare when I got my first tatt at 18, when someone came down with hepatitus at the place, I am fine but it was a bit scary when it happened.

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Thanks all for the advice I'm on my phone at work so I can't really respond until I get off of work but I've been reading and looks like I've got a lot of thinking to do. I'll respond once I get home :D

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

we'll want a pic PC :cheesy: