Wanting a clam...

Discussion in 'Clams' started by chrisnif, Jun 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    The concern about needing the reactor steams from the fact it's only a 20 gal tank. The clam could use up quite a bit of the calcium in short order. If you closely watch things for a while you'll find the dosing balance though.

A clam in a 20gal is quite different from a calm in a large system (say 100+ gal), where regular water changes may be sufficient to replace the lost elements.
  2. Click Here!

3. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

Dec 23, 2009
    I got ya. I'm probably going to be adding a sump, and I think I'm going to follow one of my local reefer friend's plan. He has a 75 gallon and he changes 1 gallon every single day without fail, and then changes 10 gallons once a month. I think with my 20 gallon I could do a quart a day (mainly keeping the minerals up, and pulling some nutrients out) and then do 2-3 gallons occasionally. The reason he does the gallon per day is its super simple. He has a valve on the return line and when its turned he can divert some water to a separate hose, to a jug, and then down the drain, but with only losing a gallon he doesn't have issues with having to turn off the return pump or anything. as he says "its like doing an oil change" :)