Wanting a Clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Travis45, Mar 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

I'm very intrested in a clam. My tank is a 90 gallon bowfront and is at the middle stage of being reefed out to say. My lighting is the Current 6x54 watt, 48 inch HOs. My girlfriend is a little worried though because I have read a few places where the clams have clamped down on a fish and it usually will end the fish's life. She said if I get a clam and it does that to one of her favorite fish, IM DONE!!! So I was wondering if that happens normally? Also my tank is pretty tall, so I was thinking I would have to put the clam in the LR. So is there a particular clam that would work in my tank?

Travis

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Crocea live in the live rock in the wild and will do just fine.

They will occassionally clamp down on a fish but it's usually a sitting type fish. Lawnmower blenny, clown goby, hawkfish, etc.

I had a T. gigas that was the size of a volleyball clamp down on my hand. That felt good.....NOT. I had to stand there with my arm in the water for a good half hour until he let go.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I have never heard of a clam clamping down on and killing a fish.
    Buy HO's I am assuming you mean T5 HO's? You might be able to get away with a some of the lower light clams like squamosa or derasa, but IMHO you dont have enough lighting for a clam.

5. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah they are T5s. Yeah I know im on the lower end of lighting requirements. I guess it would be a gamble but I'm not a gambling man. I should probably stay away from them then. Thats why I thought maybe higher up in the LR.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

You could try something higher up. Maybe with one of the lower light clams. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in, my clam experience is limited, I haven't had mine for all that long. But just looking at it you have about half the lighting I do, and I am considered at the bottom end of clam lighting.

7. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah I thought my new light would be enough. Six 54 watt T5s sounds like a lot but I guess it really isnt, so sad :cry:. I cant do metal halides in my room, with my flat screen T.V. putting off heat and a chiller running due to MHs, Id probably die of heat stroke.

8. Click Here!

9. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

do yourself a favor dont get a clam t5 in a 90 not a good combo i really think w/ clams you need mh just my opinion sure others might disagree but i had little luck long term anyway with pc or t5

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

There is some good reading on anything clam related right here on 3reef: Clams - 3reef Forums Check out the stickys at the very top. Amcarrig has a wonderful article included there!

11. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

That is a wonderful article. Im still swaying, I have a few friends that have successfully kept them under T5s, but like I said before my tank is really tall.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: Good thing you weren't SCUBA diving when that happened aye?