wanted to share

Discussion in 'Clams' started by 2t2_crash, Jan 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

pretty sure it is a maxima,
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Looks like a Maxima to me based on the pronounced scutes(deeper grooves-similar to T. Squamosa) on its shell!

5. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

did it move there on it's own? I had some flame scallops that liked to bounce around the tank...until they died...lfs didn't tell me you had to feed them and this was WAY b4 I found 3reef!

8. Click Here!

9. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

I put him up there, I am nervous of any critter getting it in the sand, but I am sure they can get it there too.. where do maximas like to sit and does it need feeding like a flame? I have read up on em and all I read was high lights (got it covered) low flow (good to go) and that the feed them selves.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Your clam will feed on dissolved organics and other nutrients in your water so the additional target feeding of your clam is not necessary and could actually disrupt and diminish your water quality with excess nutrients, nitrates and phosphates from over feeding!
    Maxima's as well as other Tridacna's and Hippopus clams contain zooxanthellae and iridiphores to also aid in uv ray protection, coloration of their mantle and as a symbiotic way of receiving nutrients as a result of its host zooxanthellae's photosynthesis process which is a way for the clam to release ammonia which its zooxanthellae uses and in returns breaks it down into carbohydrates for the clam to use for energy and nutrients! !

11. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/2T2_Crash/****%20for%20the%20net/youaretheman.gif

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Thankyou! hehehe
    glad to be able to help offer what ever advice or help I can! I am still learning...never ending ya know!