want to get out of freshwater

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by guedo1997, Jul 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. guedo1997

guedo1997 Plankton

i have a 150 gallon tank and want to switch to saltwater. i have 12 burundi frontosa, 6 yellow labs, 2 loachs, 1 med Plecostomus. i would like to trade for live rock and live sand. i live in centralia illinois. i would sell all but need enough money to buy the rock and sand so it might be easier to trade someone. the fronts are about 4 inchs i have had them since Nov. 2005.
    [email protected]
    618-533-1813
    618-830-2939

2. Click Here!

3. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Trades

You May Want To Try Big Al's Aquarium Services. They Will Give You A Credit Note. Remember They Won't Give You Alot. That's What I Did. I Gave Them 11 Cichlids And That Was Enough To Get Salt. You Won't Make Enough For Liverock As I Have Spents Well Over $100 On 17 Lbs. Really Think About The Expense Of Saltwater B4 Making The Decision.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Ditto!!You are going to have to think hard before jumping into saltwater. The cost of the skimmer and lighting for your 150 gallon tank will run you ATLEAST$500.00 just for a skimmer and a Coralife pc light fixture! Then you have the live rock and sand and the powerheads, possibly a sump and refugium at some point in the near future. Then, you have to stock your tank.
    If you have the money to purchase all these at once then you should be able to do it-one thing you don't want to do is cut corners with saltwater, It is different than freshwater tanks. I've done all sorts of tanks from Africans to Cichlids to tropicals and now salt for the second time.
    I'm not trying to scare you out of changing over to salt. What I am trying to do however, is to make you aware of the cost for one that is associated with a saltwater set-up. Have you done much by way of research on saltwater set-up, inhabitants, and all the technical aspects of this beautiful and rewarding hobby? It will be to your advantage to do as much reading on the saltwater hobby as you can. There are many wonderful books out there that touch on everything about saltwater tanks.
    I hope you have the opportunity to set up a saltwater tank! What type of tank do you plan on setting up? FOWLR, full-blown reef tank...?
    If you do set up a salt tank just remeber to do everything slowly and make sure to make sure the tank cycles all the way and water testing and water changes are key to the success of your tank and the live stock in it!
    Best of luck to you ...hope everything is a success and smooth transition for ya.

5. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

I would have to agree with you Coral Reefer about the research and reading about the different set ups. I spent nearly 6 months reading anything and everything in books and on the internet before I bought 1 piece of equipment.
    Good luck and don't give up.

6. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Hear here (or however you write out that phrase)! Before I started up my first reef tank (after years of freshwater fun) I read all I could. "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner and "Natural Reef Aquariums" by Tullock were great places to start. And of course there are sooooo many great sites and forums out there to lurk at and then post on. And 3reef is an amazing place to get involved with. Welcome!
    (but don't be so quick to unload all of your FW friends...i still have 80 gallons of the unsalty stuff scattered around the house...i love those livebearers!)

7. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

Defiantly need to look into the cost factor before hand. If you have to trade or sell freshwater fish to get started, then you might need to wait and save up for a while. I have a 20 nano and to date have put approx. $600+ into it and I DIY and cut corners and wheel and deal with the LFS. Good luck.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

If you take it very slow you might not feel it that much as far as $$$$ goes.
    Look at what you have already, you don't need a tank, you can use your filters for now. Right there your're saving some money. It will be cheaper to buy live rocks and sand on line and make sure that there's a sale or free shipping to get most out of your money. At etropicals you can get live sand 60lbs for $99. eTropicals.com - Live fish, corals, inverts, plants, live rock & sand You don't need to get lights right away, wait until you finnished with your cycle. Good Luck.

10. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Agree with reef lover. Look at the equipment that you have and what you can use to get started. As far as live rock goes start off with 50-75#'s and look for some base rock that sells for $2-3 per pound. My LFS sells dry base rock for this amount. This rock will eventually become live rock in a year or so.
    Just invest in a good skimmer especially if you plan on going Reef. Check online stores as well for equipment.
    Good Luck.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

For what its worth and depending on what your saltwater aquarium goals are a Fish only a reef ? will effect the total end cost.. then you get in to a reef ? again depending on what type of corals you would want to keep.

But on average I've seen it cost about on average for a 125 to 180 about 15.00 per gallon then on a reef 20.00 to 25.00 per gallon again depending on lighting , skimmer needs tank would need to be drilled and overflows installed on that tank to tall for any hangon Its been tried .. It can get priciey Not trying to scare you off Just know there are not many short cuts to saving real money
    R.O/ DI 200.00
    drilling and sump and overflows if not reef ready 150.00 plus sump 50.00
    Dead base Rock 2.00 LB and about 250 to 300 lbs
    Live rock depending on type and quality 6.00 to 12.00 Lb for about 200 to 300 Lbs.
    a basic light set VHO 200.00 to 300.00 plus ballast 40.00 a bulb
    Skimmer 200.00
    sand dry 100.00
    Live sand 3.00 lb. and about 70lbs min.
    Pumps and power heads 300.00
    Its just goes on . It do gets expensive (>: But I think it's worth every penny..

12. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a 10 gallon reef that which is absolutely beautiful, but I would never give up my tropicals. I love all kinds of aquariums. I have the reef, a fresh water Parrot with 3 rosey barbs & a pleco, a 10 gallon with 2 goldfish & am now looking into a small aquarium for fancy guppies & neons.Luv em all !!