Waging my first real war on Aiptasia!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Bruce, May 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hey everyone!

Well I think I am finally ready... the syringes of lemon juice and kalkwasser are just not doing it for me anymore. I am thinking about biological warfare (er... i guess the other two were also... NEVERMIND). Anyways I found that
    Berghia Nudibranchs take care of the little buggers and found a site that has them for pretty cheap... compared to the other places I found. My question is: Has anyone ever tried this and if so how did it work out?

-BC

PS: the site is ---> Learn About Berghia nudibranches here - Learn About Berghia nudibranches here

2. Click Here!

3. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

ive read of this working countless times, but when you run out of aiptasia the nudi will die

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It's not like you can't ship them to another person after your aiptasia problem is taken care of.

5. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

never said u couldn't i was stating what would happen if they were left there

6. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

Peppermint shrimp are good too. Plus you can keep them, and they are a good CUC member.

7. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

should try these first will save yourself some money.

8. Click Here!

9. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

I had Aiptasia once. I injected the ones I saw with lemon juice, and the shrimp ate the ones I couldn’t reach. (Like in caves, and behind rocks)
    For about $5 even if it doesn’t work, they are still cool, and very neat to watch.

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Sadly I have tried peppermint shrimp. They didn't seem to ever take to the aiptasias. I have also spent countless hours injecting the little buggers with all sorts of concoctions hah. I realize that the nudis would most likely perish after the aiptasia is gone but, I feel like they might be necessary casualties of war.

Thanks for the input! I will keep you all updated. I really need to post some new pictures hah.

11. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

I tried peppermint shrimp too and they were always hiding until they died. So, I am back to vinigar and hot water injection which work for a while but it keeps coming back....
    So, please share your experience... I would love to find a way to get rid of them forever!

12. bulldogniner

bulldogniner Feather Duster

I've been using the Red Sea Aiptasia-X and it works pretty well. It kills them almost instantly, but I do still see some popping up every once in a while. I think it might just take time and patience. I hate those things!