Votrech pumps

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by artur, Jun 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chris!

Chris! Banned

Yeah I thought about that for a half second or so, but I would still imagine they think higher of it then chinese made right????

Then again I think chinese is one of the major languages up there :-/ Regardless the wp's are extremely new and still unproven IMO..... and put chinese wires in with my precious corals and fish and thats a big no no lol It hasn't been that long since they agreed tp stop putting lead in our kids toys what makes anyone think they care anymore about our fish/coral??

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

People say wp-40 then go oh, noes... chinese. You really think mp-40's are US made? lol.

wp's are gonna definitely fall into the get what you pay for realm. They are producing new voltage controllers, boxes, etc etc everyday. I see wp-40's like the early stages on LED's a few years ago. The plan is there but not the solid outline yet. Do some research and you'll see jaebo is odyssea. Odyssea is the bottom level entry line of equipment. Just enough to get by and thats where the wp's are right now imo. People will scream their lights burn down your house based on 10 year old threads, but moral of the story is get what you pay for.

I am a budget minded hobbyist and I myself cant justify the $450 for a mp-40, let alone 2 I would need. Thats a couple truck payments for me. They can be the greatest thing ever but i cant do it. So I ride the koralia bus. I do regular vinegar baths and maintenance on them about every 4-6 months, and out of 3 years since I got back in the hobby I have had to buy one impeller. Thats with 6 koralias in use across my tanks. Cost of 6 Koralia's? Less than 1 mp-40. Even if I replace one I would still be under the cost. Now take into account replacing the wet side of the mp-40 and tack that onto annual maintenance costs?

Purely my opinion for mp's are one of the most over rated and over priced pieces of equipment in the hobby. A year or two ago mp's were a status item imo. You werent a real reefer unless you had one, not one of the cool kids. Now even without wp's there are alot of cheaper and probably better duration circulation products on the market.

Yes there are alot of people that will disagree and I respect your opinion.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I'll wade in here. I absolutely love Vortechs. Once you put one in you can tell the difference. I also like the wp25/40 IDEA, but being as the product line is 3 months old, I have my reservations.I do think they will be far better than korrlia pumps, but at about $100 I'd rather wait and see, then congratulate/condemn the early adopters.

I paid $385 shipped for my brand new mp40's 185 and 200 for my mp10's on of the 10s is not wireless though. I have had zero issues in a year and a half with vortechs and I do little maintenance.

In a couple months I might try the wp-40s on my tank since they go well with me Chinese theme zetlights lol

5. Chris!

Chris! Banned

I thought the same thing for years........... until I put one in my tank! Seriously until you own one you will not understand.

The hype has been proven... for years. And even if the mp40 was really made in russia during the cold war, there are still no wires in the tank and 1 less thing to worry about if it fails.

Again, if my tank were to get fried because of voltage in the tank from one of those pumps, did I really save any $??? Considering I have single pieces that are worth the difference +, I would say no! The truth is that Odyssey has burnt down homes with faulty wiring, sure it may have been years ago with newer technology.... ooooh wait isn't this really new technology for them???? Yup you didn't make me feel any more comfortable about putting their wires in my tank, or even at this point my home. LOL

6. UNCFAN

UNCFAN Plankton

I have the 125 long tank and I have one MP40W on both ends of the tank which gives plenty of flow.

7. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

And you know what, I havent really experienced any of these severe problems that people describe about the hydors. And we have dozens of clients who use them. Yes, they can clog on restart, but so can many of what are considered high quality pumps on the market. You dont need to take it apart or anything, just get something like a long match (I used the straight needle from Red Seas AiptasiaX treatment) and simply tap the impeller........ and thats it.

and honestly, if you have something like a 240g reef tank, what are you doing with powerheads? That tank should have an awesome circulation set-up without a need for powerheads. Some extra drilled holes do wonders for waterflow...and are a whole lot cheaper than the vortechs ;p.

8. Click Here!

9. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

Thanks everyone for opinions. I guess I will buy 1-MP40 for now since looks like MP10s won't be enough. I will put it on one side and for now 2-Koralia on opposite.Cant wait to try " best pump". When I will have more founds I will buy another...

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I think you will love it Artur. Thats a good plan.

11. Chris!

Chris! Banned

+1. 2 MP40s in the end will be a great idea.

12. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

You will not get the flow of a mp with anything else. How would you know without even owning one? Closed loops still don't provide the waves. Wave boxes do but they're as much or close to the cost of mp10, however doesn't have modes for flow control. I had 2 different brands, maxijet and koralias, brand new on a wave controller. Still sucked. One mp10 beat the flow of them together.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013