vortech vs koralia

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by cjsdubia, Dec 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cjsdubia

cjsdubia Astrea Snail

im probly just going for the vortechs just because i hate all the electric cords hanging around
    and i know the sps will enjoy the flow i do like the way it makes corals sway

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Haha! All input is welcome @ 3reef though!:cheesy:

4. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

This is coming from someone who has owned many koralia powerheads. I was never completely satisfied with the performance of these pumps. they are good but i now have 2 mp10s on my 75 gallon reef. i could not be happier, i have them both on half power on lagoon mode. i simply clean the wet side once every few months and i have zero problems. Also, mine are dead quiet. FYI they can be loud when not aligned properly. These pumps are awesome in construction and quality. It keeps my sandbed 100% clean. In addition, if you use the supplied zip-ties and tape you can hardly notice the power cord. Besides i think its a great trade off for having a tiny prop on the inside. we spend all this time and money on our reefs and i want to look at coral and fish not bulky equipment if i can help it. In short they are a great investment that are 100% scalable to any application (soft coral tanks, mixed, sps, lps) that will make your tank healthier thanks to the broad flow and natural patterns. i say go eco tech

5. cjsdubia

cjsdubia Astrea Snail

whats your thoughts on these setups:
    like stated its primarily sps and clams
    5 ft long tank and i believe its 27 wide(120 gallon)
    3 mp10's
    2mp 40's
    0r just 2 mp10's ?

6. DavidinGA

DavidinGA Fire Worm

Why not plumb some sea swirls and eliminate the worthless power heads all together? (plus cut your electrical bill)

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

On that size of tank, MP10s are worthless unless you're just trying to supplement with them on the back glass. 2 MP40s is what you want.

BTW, if it's 60" long and 27" wide, then it's not a 120g unless it's really shallow; otherwise it's bigger. Do you know the third dimension?

8. Click Here!

9. cjsdubia

cjsdubia Astrea Snail

its actually 60x18x26 its an extra tall

so still mp40's and not 2 10's?

10. cjsdubia

cjsdubia Astrea Snail

im horrible at any "DIY" situation i ride with the hang on back crew

11. roblox84

roblox84 Bristle Worm

Two mp40 would also be better if you ever decide on a bigger tank you won't have to buy new vortechs

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Yes; 2 10s on opposite ends won't do it.