Vortech vs koralia

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by gabbyr189, Sep 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

Noise is definitely relative to each individual and how loud their tank is.

I installed a coast to coast overflow with beananimal standpipes specifically to make my tank as quiet as possible.

I was anti-vortech before I actually tried one myself. Most people that bash them, have never used them.

They can be loud depending on how you run them. I use the ReefCrest and Tidal modes more often than anything and I can't hear the pumps ever.

When I change things up and create a big wave ... I notice the noise. Mostly because the powerhead goes from slow, to fast over and over again ... so you can hear the powerhead pulsing.

For the modes I use them for, they are dead silent. I have two MP40wES and run them as a master/slave wirelessly. I only run them at about 60% because thats all the flow my corals can handle (lots of LPS) and I don't hear the powerheads at all.

And the flow that two vortechs can achieve can't be touched by almost any other powerheads out there. And I don't mean the GPH, I mean the type of flow that they can provide for your tank

2. Click Here!

3. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Yes it is an evolution series and less than a year old. I will contact them. Good to know, thanks.

For the price, I would be replacing all of my koralias and would be running it at max power. I would probably only be able to afford one mp40 at a time. Eventually I would want two of them running at 100% power, because right now I have only 5050 gph flow in my 90g and feel that I could use more. I have some lps but a lot of sps.

4. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

I still don't think you'll run them at 100% I could be wrong ... maybe there is someone out there who does it.

My tank is 144 gallons ... and I run them at between 40-60% and its really really good flow. 100% would be insane in a 48" tank I think. But who knows, with an SPS dominated tank you might be able to run them wide open.

5. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

I have two Mp40's in my 75 and run them around 30-50%. If you get an MP40 I doubt you will be running it at 100%. If you have any coral near it, it will not like that much flow. And the noise should be negligible if you follow the instructions. Every time I clean mine and add them back to the tank I have to do some adjusting to make sure they are running silent. If the wet and dry sides are not matched up properly you will definitely hear some noise. I assume this is what most people complain about. I had 5 evos in my tank before the move to the vortechs and there is no way I would ever go back.

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I have a 125 and I dont run mine at 100%

7. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

I kind of figured others would agree with me on that one ... 100% is wild over such a short distance.

8. Click Here!

9. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Am I correct in saying that the MP40's run at 3200 gph? Right now I have 4 koralias totaling 5050 gph, and I am looking for more flow. Sps do the best with 50x-100x flow. 5050/90g = approximately 56x. My tank could use more flow... I was looking to up it to more like 70x. They seriously love it. Thus, 2 mp40's at max power = 6400gph. 6400gph/90g = 71X turnover. I have heard of some reefers on this forum running their SPS tanks as high as 100X turnover...

10. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

MY mp40 is pretty loud. its louder than all my other equipment. BUT youll only notice it when it first starts, or when it comes back to normal mode after its 10 minute "feeding" time. but then it drowns itself out into background noise. i would still choice the vortechs over teh korilias, if you can afford it. they dont take up alot of space in the tank, and you can change teh flow pattern as often as you want, without sticking your arm in there and pointing the PH's in a differnt direction. i change my flow pattern every other day, from Nutrient export mode, to reef crest mode, to full blown 100% flow, to long pulse mode, ect ect ect, all with the push of a button. which is a real selling point to me, cus it helps keep my rocks and sand clean.

and i always run mine at 100% like a boss

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Having gone from using 7 koralias to using 2 mp60s.. I fully and completely disagree... You either had a limited experience or only saw one working (they aren't drastically better till you have two working together on opposite sides of the tank) or it wasn't set up right.

@OP - all the noise issues seem to come back to the MP40s, I have 4 mp10s across my systems and 2 mp60s on my main tank and don't have a noise complaint on any of them.

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

My MP10's are not silent...but are quieter than my skimmer (Reef Octo). I run my MP10's at 100% on Reef Crest.

I went from Koralia's as well and can say that the Evo's are dead silent. However, the bulkyness, cords that get in the way of my screen top for jumping fish, amount needed to match one Vortech, and overall aesthetics fall short of the Vortechs.