VorTech - Really Worth the Price?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by NaClCrocodile, Dec 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Worth it or not?

1. Worth every penny!

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Just an unnecessary expense

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

Just wanting your opinions. I've heard from a reliable source @ my LFS that he thinks it's the main reason his tank is doing as well as it is. I've also heard that it's a big waste of money and the Koralias will do just fine for 1/3 the price. I'll be putting it in a 75 if I do get it, so I think it's the only one I'd do. In design and form, I'm a modern/minimalist type guy so this really appeals to me, so it's got that factor already. Anyway, what do ya'll think about them, Worth every penny! or Just an unnecessary expense.

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I love mine. Was worth every penny.

What type of corals do you keep?

Really only worth it for SPS though. Most everything else doesn't care as much.

4. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

I dont think its unnecessary just little over priced.

5. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

it pushes water.......just like 500 other different power heads and cost 50 times more......i think theres more important things to spend your money on in an already expensive hobby other then a 400 dollar "water pusher" just my .02

6. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i really want a couple so i can simulate current change. that said i dont think i could shell out that kind of money.

if you are trying to decide between 1 vortech or multiple koralias i would go with the later. more flexiblity with flow.......just my 2 cents (about what its worth too)

7. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

thants creepy, was typing my reply while you posted. i guess between us we have four cents. a few thousand more we can split a vortech

8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Love mine, there's nothing else out there that provides all of the benefits of a vortech. I have only found a few minor problems/drawbacks with them and nothing that outweighs the benefits.

No in-tank wires for aesthetic reasons
    No in-tank wires for potential electricity leakage
    No heat added to the tank
    Smallest in-tank footprint for the amount of flow provided
    Synchronizing (or anti-synchronizing) multiple powerheads built in
    Probably the broadest flow of any powerhead out there
    Easiest to clean because you don't need to mess with wires on the wet side
    Multiple flow "patterns"
    Probably more that I'm not thinking of :)

As soon as there is competition, or if I find out they fail me in some manner a year down the line or something I'll think about changing my mind.

EDIT: Also just to comment, pushing water like any other powerhead, I disagree, they're quite different. Especially due to the aesthetics, since at least my goal is a pleasing look to the tank, that is worth more than money can buy, as long as it's in your budget. Of course there is no right or wrong here, it's all up to personal opinion, but I don't think you can compare vortechs because there is no other powerhead that provides the same benefits.

10. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

well in a 180 gallon tank any korialla doesnt look bad esp if you do the scape right u can actually hide them all, and a tunze or the new hydors can do the same thing IMO

11. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

And the aesthetics of your tank is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. You really need to update your build thread by the way, I want to see more. I'll be doing the two island look as well.

To answer an earlier post, I plan on keeping a mixed reef. If I do get the VorTech, I'd have an SPS dominant island next to the VorTech and an LPS dominant island on the far side.

The other note that the guy at my LFS said was that it creates more of a "wall" of water rather than a "stream" like other powerheads. He said this helped keep detritus from accumulating as long as the rock work was open enough. Ans comments on this from owners? Do you find that they astually keep it cleaner, or that owners of VorTechs, on average, are more anal about a clean tank?

Opinions are what this is for guys, don't hesitate to put them up!

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Looks have nothing to do with performance, it's just a personal thing. I love the looks of mine. But it isn't like anything is "natural".

As far as the flow... well it is everything people say about it. Absolutely amazing the flow it puts out in the manner it does. Incredibly wide and diffuse. My Korillias are like garden hoses compared to this thing. The Vorteh is like a river.

Korillias can't match a Vortec period. DC or controllable heads such as Tunze or Korallia DC are the only ones that can. A Vortech isn't an on off power head.

One is nice, but the syncing of many are much better than some of the other designs out there.

There is no point is asking if it worth the money. I asked the same, but nobody can make my mind up for me. You have to decide if it is worth it. All I can say is that when I got it, it lived up to every bit of it's advertising.