**Vortech Owners** Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by FaceOfDeceit, Feb 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Radar644

Radar644 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yeah i just ordered a 120 and went closed loop. I really wanted to try to vortechs but came down to fact i already had most of equip for cc.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Very few people actually make waves with Vortechs. Wave making involves voiding most tank warantees and some serious consideration before undertaking.

The Vortechs are not powerheads.... they have drivers that have plenty of different modes and can be synced together. Putting a Korrilia on a wave maker does not even begin to come close to what Vortechs can do.

Vortechs are expensive... so is everything else in this hobby. Is spending $1500 on flow any more crazy than $1500 on a custom tank or $1500 on a skimmer or a light? The only thing that can compete with Vortechs are Tunze Streams and once you get the pumps and seperate controller they are more exspensive.

Bottom line is that none of that matters. What matters is that nothing else out there can put out the type of flow that a Vortech can put out. I'm not talking about GPH... I 'm talking about how wide and diffuse the flow is. It like comparing a river to a garden hose like most powerheads are.

Vortech will never be "worth it" to some folks. But right now Vortechs simply offer the finest flow for a tank on the market. Hook it up to a Apex with a wirless module and nothing else can come close.

4. xjaydub20x

xjaydub20x Feather Duster

I agree that there is nothing else like a Vortech. The comparison of a river to a garden hose was spot on. I plan on putting 2 MP60's on my 265 reef! ...needless to say I have to wait for my tax return to afford them. I hope my wife doesn't read this. :eek:

Their battery backups are worth checking out too. Don't want to be caught without one in a power outtage situation.

EcoTech Marine | Products | VorTech Battery Backup

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

bump for the evening crowd

6. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I don't own a Vortech but do plan on getting them for my 113g.

I will start with the 2 Evo 1400's I got half off from Big Als (Yay for Black fri. week long sale)...then will add a MP40 then probably a 2nd MP40 then use the 1400's to mix water and/or back ups.

Of course I may find that the combo of the 2 evos and the one mp40 tol be sufficient.

7. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

So with 1 or even 2 vortech's how do you ensure there is no dead spots in your tank? I have 2 -Evo 1400's and 2- Evo 750's on my 75gal to ensure there isnt any.

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Apparently that is enough flow. The flow from Vortech pumps is wide-spread and powerful, like no other. haha

10. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Well I plan on having single MP40's on each side, 2 MP 10's on the back and 2 Return lines from a Reeflo Dart to mix up all the area in the 170 Gallon.

11. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

lol yeah its a bit much but about to increase it a little more with my little gaint 1350gph return pump :). So just to stay on the fourm topic would one mp60 or two mp40's be able to replace all Evo's?

12. xjaydub20x

xjaydub20x Feather Duster

I would say that two are always better than one. Vortechs are able to communicate with eachother and work together (sync) or opposite of eachother (anti-sync) which you can use to enhance the effect of each of the operational modes (lagoon, reef crest, tidal swell, short pulse/long pulse for wavemaking, etc). Check out page 6 and page 8 of the manual below to see what I'm talking about:

http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/QuickStart_Manual_Rev4.pdf

The additional benefit of having two is you're covered if one happens to go out for some reason. In this hobby, you can't have enough redundancy (backups).