Vortech/jebao vs tank silicone

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by nanomania, May 2, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Well iv never seen any topics on this issue, so just thought of making a thread on this... as we know that these new wave generating pumps are awsm at generating massive flow in the tank. The back and forth movement of these pumps are like as if ur shaking the tank.. has anyone ever experienced a disaster like tank silicone just tares open creating a disaster? Especially on rimless tanks. Also if we go for larger tanks or smaller tanks, would a munimum 12mm glass be a minimum for this pumps? (This is not a thread for comparing the brand of pumps)

2. Click Here!

3. nanomania

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I've been using the gyre in a 120 for several months. No problems yet.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I've only heard of a few rare cases of a pane blowing out due to flow, but that was with the older jet-stream powerheads, and where only one or two were used to create a massive amount of lateral current. I've never heard of a prop-type causing a problem; although they create more flow, it's also more dispersed. I believe one would be even less likely to break a tank seal when running intermittently, such as with a wavemaker.

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Ecotech Marine states on the website that some tanks may not be able to withstand the standing wave most people use in short pulse mode. However I've yet to hear of any one having this problem. I have one on my 34g rimless and so far no problems.

7. nanomania

Thanks for the reply guys, well for a 72x24x24 15mm glass, my plan is to use 5" braces and 2 2" braces in between also the sides on the outside using 6mm galss to cover the outside joints... just dont know about the bottom... i dont care if they look ugly as i dont want a disaster.... would this help, as its gona be a mixed reef, my plan is 40x total flow

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

Planning to test on my 28x15x15 first using jebao wp10 or rw8

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I wouldn't much worry about this on modern tanks. Now if the tank was 10+ years old, making waves might make me a bit nervous.

11. nanomania

Morden tanks? Well i guess all depends on silicone and braces...

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Builders today, in general, are using thicker glass and better RTVs (which are always improving).