Vortech EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mikejrice, Feb 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How do you run your Vortech?

1. Constant Speed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. EcoSmart Tidal Swell

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. EcoSmart Nutrient Transport

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Random Reef Crest

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  5. Random Lagoon

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Short Pulse (Waves)

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. Long PUlse (Surge)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Everyone knows that Vortechs are some of the best pumps money can buy, but does anyone really know how to run one well? What mode should we run them in? What flow setting should we run them on? These are questions that I hear a lot, and there really are no simple answers. Every mode on a Vortech can be used to make your reef very happy. Which one you use just depends on what you're keeping and what kind of look you want in your reef.

EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode is the newest one that I'm giving a shot and from what I've seen so far it's worth getting a full write-up.

As said by Vortech:
    This EcoSmart mode is used to create a harmonic balance in your aquarium reminiscent of the changing flow conditions that would be found in nature. In this mode, you EcoSmart master driver will be purple and your slave driver will flash white/orange/teal and indicate its speed by the LED strip. The first two LED's will indicate which EcoSmart mode you are in.

This mode would be great for ultra high energy reef tanks, such as those that an SPS keeper seeks to create....

As with all their mode descriptions, this is a bit on the vague side, so lets explore this mode a little bit more.

What it does:
    Tidal Swell mode is just that, a simulation of natural tidal swells. This means that flow is slowly throttled up and down at a set interval, and each time it is throttled up it is run at higher and higher power. The final throttle up is a nice long curve peaking at maximum power. The entire cycle runs over a period of a few hours, so there are no abrupt changes that may cause corals to draw back.

Why it does this:
    This is a great simulation of tidal swelling. Some people would say that it can't exactly match the time frame of when the ocean swells in and out, but really that's not the goal here. The goal is to recreate the ever changing conditions of the ocean, and this one hits it on the dot. Changes are nice and slow giving coral time to adjust, but flow still hits many different intensities throughout the day. It hits high points capable of getting particles back in suspension and cleaning out SPS, and it hits low points perfect for LPS to relaxe and catch some food out of the flow.

Using it:
    This is the best mode for SPS reefs as even Vortech said. SPS needs high flow periods to keep healthy, but it also enjoys periods of low flow to catch food. For SPS reefs run this mode as high as you possibly can without making a sand storm. Corals may take some time to adjust, but believe me, they will love it! For LPS and soft coral you will need to set the pump for their needs. Set the pump to the green constant mode and gradually turn it up until your corals are getting thrashed around to the max that you would like to see. This will set the peak throttle of the swell mode. Now set your pump back on the EcoSmart Tidal Swell mode and let her run. Keep in mind that LPS and soft corals also take some time to adjust to flow and they can probably handle a lot more than you think.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

dont have a Vortech Mike

so cant vote

but can bump this one for you

Steve

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I only have one Vortech, so I don't think I can say... It's my understanding that you need 2 or more for this mode to work correctly. Is that right?

5. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

In the manual, it says that "Slave pumps should be positioned opposite the master and on the back of the tank to take full advantage of the ECOSMART modes."
    I take that as you need at least two pumps to really achieve "creating a harmonic balance in your aquarium reminiscent of the changing flow conditions that would be found in nature."
    I only have one MP10, but the versatility is amazing. I mean, you can speed it up, slow it down, make it sleep, make waves, customize, program! The list keeps going on. I will probably get at least one more VorTech for my tank, since i did buy the wireless one :)
    Just something else i can get to make my tank better.

6. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

With one pump i was all about Reef Crest.

With two, Nutrient Transport Mode all the way. I like that it alternates between wave making and swell.

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Hi Mike. I love my Vortech’s and currently run four them – I can’t say “they are the best pumps for the money” since they are a little crazy expensive.

I have three in the display:

Behind reef low in middle set to long pulse
    Mid reef back wall left and right, random lagoon
    One in my sump set to a timer to run twice at night for 15 minutes set to constant speed (max)

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I've been experimenting recently. What are you using now mike?

10. TWOLITREmedia

TWOLITREmedia Flamingo Tongue

My two MP10es come in tomorrow and I can't wait to take part in this discussion, or at the least gain some more knowledge about what modes are ideal.

I have a 72 gallon bowfront, and I am aiming to do a fairly mixed reef setup in terms of coral some SPS some LPS. I have the lighting to support pretty much anything in my tank (3 AI SOL Blue Units) and can't wait to add these bad boys in tomorrow. My Koralias just aren't cutting it anymore and could use a good cleaning before I sell them....

11. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

I have 2 mp10wES on my 50g cube, both are set on reef crest.

12. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

I have two MP40w ES' on my 150, one MP40w ES on the 92 and one MP40w on the 125. All utilize the Reef Crest mode. For a period of time, I ran NTM on the two in the 150. Between the two settings, I still feel that Reef Crest was the best choice.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012