Vodka dosing

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Piano10, Aug 6, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No they will cause no issues. You really have to have a purging from the filter with millions of tiny micro bubbles to see any adverse affects. Only if air bubbles were collecting under or on corals would I be concerned.

2. Click Here!

3. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

That has happened. I have seen tiny bubbles land on the corals and rocks but not a lot and it stops if I keep the filter on the lowest level.
    Why do these filters purge, mine did it most recently.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Bubbles just build up. I would really worry if the were attached to tissue/gathering in one spot. Like the under side of a brain coral.

5. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Corailline likes this.
  6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Is the tank size the reason for no skimmer? just curious. I am thinking by the picture and your description that you may have cyano and not diatoms. I wouldn't suggest using vodka at this point because I've observed that when I dose vinegar in small amounts there always seems to be some cyano develop :(

7. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Its not red though. I thought cyano was red? Its golden algae.

I took the bag of chemi pure out of my filter and replaced it with a small bag of regular carbon...microbubbles have gone down to very little. The bag of chemipure was too big and causing the bubbles.

That was a wasted bag of chemipure:(

Next time i'm getting the nano bag

Yes, because its 15g i decided to go skimmerless plus I wouldn't be able to run carbon because i'd ditch the filter.

Corailline likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

i agree with you, that looks like a small diatom bloom to me too. as corailline mentioned its far from catastrophic levels but i can understand your furstration. again as mentioned diatoms feed on silicates so we need to figure out where its coming from.... usually diatoms are the first to bloom in a new system and quickly die off. how old is the system (sorry if you already mentioned this) you might want to look into a good RO/DI unit. will save you cash and space in the long run

10. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I can't plumb a system in my apartment but I am going to buy ro water instead. It very well could be my water.

My system was started june 20th

11. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

i have been injecting 8ml of vodka twice a week for almost 3 years in my aquaripure filter with no known side effects. nitrates have always stayed at zero since i started it.

Piano10 likes this.