Vivid vs Liveaquaria...

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Coastie Reefer, Nov 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Ok so I'm about to start a SPS tank and have been looking for some hardy sticks. The problem is when you look at LA all SPS = Difficult and when you look at Vivid all SPS = Easy...

I have s few SPS frags in my 40B mixed reef and all are doing great. I just want to get more variety in my new 29g SPS only setup. Looking for hardy because this setup will be sumpless and skimmerless. That being said I'm really trying to avoid green, green, green, green as it seems everything local is, uhhh green.

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I wouldnt really pay attention to just what these 2 sites suggest as difficult or easy. Find a coral you like and then research it on as many sites as possible, and then make your decision. I personally have ordered from both and have been much happier with Vivid's corals. Better prices, and they are always larger than the pic, unless of course its a WYSIWYG. LA seems to purple and green everything in their pics too, which I dont know what the deal is with that.

4. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

I live right by Vivid and their selection is great, however it all and I do mean all is imported/maricultured somewhere chopped up and turned around. Within a small margin do they actually grow the stuff out at the store. They do however almost always give you a decent size piece that has encrusted nicely on the plug. At least currently, I know they used to operate differently, but with their 800 gallon renovation things have been different there lately. I like liveaquaria for the fact that you can choose to buy long term aquacultured stuff. If you are going wild, then just pick what you want and go with it. Vivid's recommendations tend to be very optimistic, where as LA tends to err on the side of caution to an extreme sometimes. I have found that it is usually right down the middle.

Either way, I am sure you'll have good luck.

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Things you need to know when starting with SPS, regardless of where you're buying from.

Aquacultured is the way to go. Hardiness here is the best you'll get with SPS.

Maricultured is a close second, but these will often fade or change color some, once acclimated to a closed system. The reason I've always avoided these: they often come in with a lot of unwanted pests.

Wild SPS are something you don't want to even think about trying when starting with SPS. It's extremely difficult to take a wild piece and make it keep (or increase) it's color and make it thrive. Leave this to the experts, or once you've got a lot of SPS experience.

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

^+1. Also as to the difficulty rating, LA tends to be more realistic generally. However, dificulty is a relative term and in a lot of ways has more to do with the individual system. What's easy in my tank may be difficult in yours or visa versa. Depends which system provides a more appropriate environment for that coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Thanks to all and the valid and insightful points. I can't wait to get this system up and running. Looking forward to the challenge and learning more about SPS.

It's funny how this hobby works!

Start out, ohhhhhh, I'm just going to have a FOWLR. I'm not really into corals that's too much work. Then... Well I'll get a cheap light and just grow some easy softies. Then... Man, what is that...LPS you say... that thing looks awesome. Next thing you know you want a tank full of neon colored sticks!!!