Violet Goby

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by logan09, Aug 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

VioletGobyFAQs
    Here is a pretty good site. It likes a SG of 1.012. It can get at least a foot long. It is definately a Brackish water fish that has certain requirement. It requires certain types of sand and other conditions.
    One good thing is from the pics that I have seen the fish does not really appear violet...more white colored. I also saw an article that states it does better in brackish water, so it should survive until tomorrow.
    I would bag the fish up first thing in morning and return it to the store. Even if it does not make it (though it might) I would return it and make a stink about it as they did not let you know about the requirements. You do not want a fish that is going to be over a foot long, plus these are very hard to feed.
    I hope this helps! Good luck

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

""(This is not even mentioning the fact that we view it as a living thing""

ive allways viewed it as "Living Art" :)

4. logan09

logan09 Plankton

I've actually had it for about 2 weeks. It still seems fine it starts trying to inhale food when I drop it in the tank. Also considering I got it from wal-mart it was probably in freshwater. I know when I look it up it says its a brackish water fish. But it can live in freshwater not as long though. When I got home it was purple again? Also will the aquarium salt be fine or should I not even bother?

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

the articles I read recommended no on the aquarium salt, that it really is not the same thing. I would try to find some marine salt if at all possible...do you have any type of big pet store, ie Petsmart, Petco or the such. They will usually have some type of saltwater or even brackish water section. Mine sells salt there.
    You will probably want to introduce it slowly however as you are probably right, it has probably been in freshwater all its life if it has been at Walmart.
    What kind of substrate do you have in your tank, and what are you feeding it? Remember this fish likes to root through the substrate so the choice of what you ahve down is very important
    I have absolutely no experience with FW fish, esp brackish fish. I do know that the article that I posted has some really good info and there is some info on using regular aquarium salts on it. You might want to go to Wet Web Media as they do all sort of fish and they will be able to help you more then probably this site can as most of us are used to saltwater.

6. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I would stop and get a small bag of marine salt if I were you, and yes they can live in fresh water for quite some time but do better in brackish water. I Will guarantee that at walmart it was in freshwater. So if your going to go to brackish take you time and add salt slowly

7. logan09

logan09 Plankton

Thanks... Its substrate is sand. I feed it shrimp pellets and fish flakes. It seems to eat fine as I think it would be dead by now. As for the marine salt...NO. I got the fish from walmart which is an hour drive. A petstore about 3hours for a good one.

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Hope all works out...

10. logan09

logan09 Plankton

Just wanted to bump this and say my Violet Goby died two days ago at 10+ years old. Was right around 17-18" long(hard to accurately measure)

So, I guess not bad for buying something at Walmart and not knowing anything about it....

norfolkgarden likes this.
  11. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

:( Sorry to hear that Logan

12. norfolkgarden

norfolkgarden Plankton

Congratulations on keeping it well for 10 years!

A lot better fate than most Walmart fish.

Did you eventually do a whole brackish ecosystem?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk