via aqua skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by geoxman, Jun 9, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Does anyone know anything about the via aqua in sump skimmers? I saw one in action on a 100 tank and it was impressive(black gunk!!) I am tired of my remora pro! It does not skim worth a darn-light green phyto looking water. Here is a link

http://www.aquastealth.com/browseproducts/Via-Aqua-Protein-Skimmer.HTML

It is low$$$, which I am leary of, but I cant get over all of the skim this thing was pulling out of that SPS tank. So-does anyone on the board have any experience with these, or have one now?
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Going from a remora pro to that Aqua-via skimmer would be a step backwards.

4. geoxman

really??? I get about a half cup per week of phyto color water out of the remora, my ASM G1 blew the remora out of the water(sold the ASM because this was suppose to be the end all). I could not believe the skim that this thing was making on the tank I saw!!I found a few threads on some other sites that were comparing this skimmer to some big boys and it held its own.
    http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5397&highlight=aqua
    There is also one on RC
    long but interesting threads that ends without a result yet. So I sent a PM to the person that conducted the test(also the importer for Deltec in the US) and this was his response.

The Via Aqua is a great lil skimmer. It is not the best skimmer
    on the market. But for the cost it cannot be beat. To buy a
    better skimmer you will spend considerably more. Dollar for
    Dollar this is the best value.

To get a better performing skimmer you need to look at a
    Euro-reef or Deltec.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this skimmer to people
    with your size tank.

Dave B

The remora will be for sale as soon as I get the new unit. Covey do you have experience with this unit? I am curious why you said it would be a step back, are you going by what other people say?-this RP is one of the worst performing, finicky skimmers I have ever owned. I know some people like them and swear by them-but not me. You can see some of the skim in a pic of the via aqua sitting in his yard with the other skimmers. After I get the unit and break it in I will keep everyone posted.
    Thanks

5. geoxman

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

7. geoxman

The skimmer in question is not the multiskimmer it is a different skimmer all togather, it is the sk-200 or sk-388. Check out the link I provided, I sold the ASM because the RP was suppose to be better(no where the skim) It might be fine for a 45gal but not much more than that-despite all of the online praises. If you want it you can have it cheap! I would suggest many skimmers over this one. JMHO There is a thread on RC that backs my ill praises on the RP compairing it to a Coralife Super skimmer. If i had to do it all over again I would of never of bought this skimmer.JMHO. I will try the Via Aqua based on the reference of the gentleman doing the test of the skimmers. If not I am only out $100, about the price of a seaclone! Covey let me know if you are interested in an ASM I have a buddy that will be selling a G2 really soon, but you might want to wait till I test this skimmer?? Did you read all 28 pages of threads on this-it was up there with the big boys?? $89 on ebay right now! SK-388

8. Click Here!

9. geoxman

10. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Geoxman, don't give up on the remora pro! What pump are you using? You can jump up to a mag 5 or 7, Rio plus 1700-2100 pump or the Rio hyperflo 10. I upgraded my pump and am getting much better results on my Remora pro and Remora skimmers. With the Mag 7 or Rio's you may need to add a ball valve to adjust the flow. By the way, the Remora Pro is only rated to 120g capacity with the mag 3 pump.

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Impress effort with the skimmers test even if it seem unclear. I can't believe that guy loss 900 plus piece of acro. OUCH!!!!!

12. geoxman

I know and he just seems to take the loss all in stride!! It was impressive to see the people that were visiting the skimmoff. Wasn't Knopp one of the original skimmer gurus? I was also unsure about the results and that is why I PM'd him. After I get the unit I will take pics and let everyone know. I got another email and it stated I would have to spend upwards of $350-$450 to get a skimmer to produce like this one. Raven I am curious as to why you said to not give up on the RP? You have had success with alot of mods to the RP, I am not looking to do that. I want something that works, $$ excluded. I have paid alot for skimmers and had soso results with the RP-this one is cheap and seems to work(very very well!!) I will let every one know, if it doesnt work I am out the price of a new pump for the RP(Oh well)