VHO = Hair Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Malachi, Oct 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Wanted alls opinion on this thought. VHO Actinic Light running (10-12 hours day) passed six months can change spectrum which feeds hair algae. My tank has a bad out break and can not find why, talking to my LFS he had the same problem. Both our lights were 8 months old when the problem was at it worst. He changed his lights and added SAT every Monday and his problem is almost gone. I just changed my lights and add first dosage of SAT. Reason for this thought, is I have read a lot on this forum where people could not find the cause of there Hair Algae out break. Will update if the problem goes away with this simple fix. I never had hair algae before until my VHO were 8 months old. I have only had my new light set up for 8 months.

2. Click Here!

3. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I don't know about VHO, but I was told that with my PC's that they needed to be replaced every 6-7 months. I thought that it was more so because of insufficient lighting for the corals. I don't know about the algae. I would be interested in knowing.

Cindy

4. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

i just had a pretty bad outbreak myself. the guy at the lfs told me to try 8hrs max on the liberal side of light. and recommended a lawnmower blenny. at first he hid under a rock but after a couple of days hes eating like a king. i tried that sat for about two weeks now nothing so far.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What is SAT? A change in lighting spectrum will not cause a hair algae problem but it can help it along. At 8 months, I would go ahead and replace them. What are your alk/ca/mag at? Ammonia? Nitrate? Phosphates?

I had a similar problem last year when I went to Australia for 2 weeks and no supplements were added by my caretaker. I replaced the bulbs, increased water circulation, added a bunch of snails and hermits, did a water change, manually removed the algae daily and made sure to keep my calcium and alk levels up high. It took about 4 months but the hair algae went away completely. Bad things happen fast in this hobby and it usually takes a long time to right them :)

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Nitrates and phosphates are generally the cause of algea in our tanks. Limit N and P and you limit A!