Resolved Veteran Fish Keepers Help!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by norg., Dec 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

It seems as though my maroon clownfish in my frag system has developed some kind of swim bladder infection. He is having difficulty swimming downward and keeping himself upright. His fins seem a bit lighter as well. Apparently the resident yellow tang in this tank decided it would be a good time to bully him as well. Great. I just fed him vitamin c and amino acid enriched food and he ate very well despite his swimming issues. This fish has been through alot and Im confident that he could make it through this but if there is any medication I am unaware of that could cure this I will get it as fast as possible. A power outage yesterday started this whole issue. The PH dropped considerably but has been stabilized since then.

Anyone with any input please chime in. I apologize for the unorganized rant.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Clowns will appear to have a swim bladder issue if they have eaten too much, especially dry foods and freeze dried foods.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

As Cheryl said it is probably due to diet. Try to get the guy to pass his meal quickly... It should resolve after that

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Ive been sick in bed for the last two days so he has gotten a meal since around 3 or 4 days ago. I highly doubt this is an issue of overfeeding...

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I looked around Norg, just because you do not see a lot of swim bladder disorders in SW fish. The only other things I could come up with that seemed applicable were cases with a dramatic change in pH and swallowing air.

Are any other the other systems running, if so I would move the Tang.

Sorry can not be of more assist, hope the fish improves or someone else chimes in with first hand experience. I have never had a SW fish with it, just FW.

7. Ben Wehr

Ben Wehr Astrea Snail

get him on metronitizole and focus by seachem pronto. Soak in the food. feed medicated food twice a day for a week. Use just enough water to thaw food so meds soak up as much as possible. you can mix a garlic made for fish too. I use piscene energetics mysis

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

There was a thread on that on here by Ryan Dyanchenel (sp) - (I obviously can't remember the last name) or something like that that had a clown with it....do a search on clown with swim bladder or clown acting strangely and look for that name....

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

ok, that's not the link....search clown swim bladder disease and it's the second one that comes up.....my apologies to Ryan because I butchered his last name....

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Just an update, the fish seems to be doing much better. He is swimming with much less stress. He still seems a bit off balance and bloated but again ate right away. My guess is that the PH drop caused him to swallow some air. The other fish look fine as well. Very weird but Im glad he is doing better.

12. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Glad to here it's looking better bro, Keep us updated.