Very New, Please Help!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by geo284, Dec 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BananaBoat

BananaBoat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I dunno. Ive had it since I set up my tank. All I use is purigen, power heads, and the mud. Ive never Had even the littlest bit of algae. :D

2. Click Here!

3. geo284

geo284 Astrea Snail

My refugium is gonna be a 30 gal tank so how much mud would I need?and what kind of flow should I put in it? I wanna try and figure out the refugium without my fish guy.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

If you do with the mud, you will need at least 5-6 containers. I bought 1 container and it was just enough to do about 1-2" in a 12"x10" area. That will cost you a lot for mud. I would just use a DSB and throw in some chaeto and you'll be set.

5. geo284

geo284 Astrea Snail

if it is better i dont mind spending a lil more money. but only if it is better. i like to have something more effective. and what is DSB?

6. geo284

geo284 Astrea Snail

oh yes, is there a certain name brand for this mud?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Magic Mud is one name for the product.

DSB= Deep sandbed.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The mud is advertised as better, and lists benefits, but I didn't notice any significant change or benefit after adding it. I'm not going to tell you not to use it, but IME, it performs the same purpose as a DSB.

10. geo284

geo284 Astrea Snail

great! i think i am just going to stick with a DSB. Now if we can just go back a lil to when i was talking about tanks. is there a big advantage to having an acrylic tank? or disadvantage? i am going to get a 120 for sure but want to know if its really worth going acrylic?

11. geo284

geo284 Astrea Snail

also, i see some tanks have corner overflows...is that better? for instance, the marineland tank for a 120gal has a single corner overflow. the aqueon tank has two overflows on the back of tank? are they both gonna work just as good or are there big differences?

12. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

wow I just stumbled upon this post and was amazed at the quality of the tank and setup its amazing you didnt even know what you were buying haha nice :LolLolLol well gl with the tank ill be following along to c how it progreses any luck with your fish guy explaining things to you?? I think he just doesnt want to be out of job ;)