Velvet disease

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Nemo85, Nov 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nemo85

Nemo85 Plankton

I just want to know if my clownfish really has velvet.Maybe someone more experienced with this kind of disease will help me.The symptoms that my clownfish has is rapid breathing,like pumping his gills fast while moving his mouth fast also,not eating,rubbing on the live sand, and not being as active like when i first got him.When i first got him he was all active swimming everywhere looking at his critter tank mates and looking all happy.Right now he's just staying in one place moving his fins at the bottom of the hospital tank.:(

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Brookynella kills quickly unfortunately and appears as a white mucous coating on the fish. Commonly seen in wild caught clowns.

Marine Ich which looks very similar in its's appearence in advanced stages is more of a blotch of white spots and may appear decreased during the photoperiod only to return. Initially looks similar to grains of salt. The fish may appear less infected for short periods of time only to have it return full force, in fish experiencing some type of stress.

Both infect the gills causing the rapid breathing and gill damage.

If you are treating the QT what are you using?

The symptoms you are descriping is usually the end stage for both disease sadly.

4. Nemo85

Nemo85 Plankton

Im doing hyposalinity and the temp is at 80F in my qt.Im treating with instant ocean life guard and my clown fish seems to just be hanging in there.I dont seen any white mucus coating on him or any white spots but hes definitley changed compared to when i first got him.