Vacs from the Sea

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Aye, but a lot of this plastic is broken down into very small bits. Not to mention there are things floating around that should stay in the ocean. Not as easy as harvesting wheat. ;)

matt

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I understand the challenges, If only we could create a polymer that chemically attracts plastic.

To bad plastic isn't magnetic.

4. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Or to keep it from getting there in the first place...

5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Good news: Quite a few states have mandatory recycling with fines if you don't recycle properly (by ratio of recyclables to non recyclables in both garbage and recycling bundles).

Bad news: Quite a few states refuse to pay for a recycling program at all, citing budgetary and efficacy concerns. (New Hampshire, I'm looking at you!)

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

A charged strip of cellulose acetate attracts plastic that is sufficiently charged.

However the water would prevent the attraction from occurring, back to the drawing board.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

Heh, the real beauty of plastic is that it's cheap and seriously nonreactive to nearly anything. Finding a way to make it attract to something is going to be nigh impossible.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

that my friend is the obstacle to overcome.

although I suppose we could just try to prevent more from being added, then use extremely fine strainers to remove as much as we can(obviously we can't get the smallest pieces), and just take the hit on what ever fauna and flora is killed in the process.

11. blackraven1425

I'm a proponent of prevention over cleanup, in case you couldn't tell haha. Mandatory, legitimately enforced recycling (we can pay off our garbage guys to take our recycling too) worldwide would drastically reduce the amount of plastic entering the ocean (the pacific in particular) to begin with. It's really much cheaper to have an effective recycling program than deal with the effects of huge quantities of plastic in the ocean.

I also don't believe every problem can be overcome with sufficient engineering, as many scientific types believe. There's a point at which things become personal responsibility, and this is one of them.