UVL t5 lights

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by nightster, Jan 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

Well I found out my lfs carries UVL lights. I was wondering, are these good lights? I have a 4 bulb fixture and I was thinking about upgrading my light bulbs. If so, which 4 should I get? I noticed super actinics, white actinics, 454s, and one other but I forgot the name. I would like to acheive a blue look, mine is pretty white right now.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. nightster

Info I found on a website:

thinking one of these:
    UVL Actinic White T5 Bulb

The combination of 50% 420nm and 50% triband phosphors makes this lamp great for coral, live rock
    and related marine life. The 12,000˚ Kelvin temp peak gives the Actinic White a true daylight spectrum.

one of these:
    UVL 75/25 T5 Bulb

The first lamp to offer 75% 420nm and 25% triband White Phosphors. This lamp
    peaks at 460nm and has 14,000˚ Kelvin temp. The unique blue/purple look is
    perfect for Coral enhancement and growth.

one of these:
    UVL T5 Super Actinic T5 Bulb

The URI super actinic R is the most widely used aquarium lamp on the market. 100% blue
    spectrum. The URI super actinic is great for reef applications and coral enhancement

and the last one:
    UVL T5 454 Actinic Bulb

The “Ultra Blue” 454 lamp is made of 85% 454nm and 15% 420nm spectrums. The look is undeniably blue which adds depth to any aquarium large or small. Makes more vibrant colors appear. Great supplement lamp to any aquarium.

So the 4 bulbs would be
    actinic white-12k
    75/25- 14k
    super actinic

Not in that order thats just the 4 bulbs. Im curious how blue this would be, only one way to find out...

4. nightster

Nobody has uvl experience?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

UVL are very good bulbs and your choices will give an excellent set up.

When you put your bulbs in place put the 454 and pure actinic in your dusk positions if you have that ability. I would suggest you put the pure actinic in front then the 75/25, actinic white and last the 454 for the bluest look.

6. nightster

Well I was gonna buy 2 bulbs today, the 454 and the actinic, then in 2 weeks buy 2 more. Ill only add one today then next weekend add the other.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That will work

8. Click Here!

9. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

I had UVL-R (internal reflectors) in my PC fixture - really nice bulbs, but I can't find T5 UVL-R :-/

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You won't either because they are not made or needed with the quality of the reflectors available for T5HO bulbs.

11. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure not everyone have SLR's in their fixtures.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

UVL has T12 bulbs w/ the internal reflectors, but no T5. The PC has internal reflectors in an attempt to direct as much light down as possible into the tank. One reason PCs are inferior to T5 lighting is due to their shape. It is near impossible to come up with a refelctor that would work as well as a T5 SLR can. The idea was to add an internal reflector to help maximize light output. I still don't think it was too successful.