UV ??

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 27, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[​IMG]
    [sub]Coralife's new UV filter.[/sub]

What do you think of UV on a reef tank?

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i think they have their advantages to a point helping to kill unwanted alge, and other bad stuff you dont want. but i wouldnt use one because it does kill the beneficial stuff also. IMO if you maintain the tank on a regular basis keeping up with lighting, water changes, and testing you shouldnt really need a uv. oh_yeah

4. Wolffvet

Wolffvet Astrea Snail

My cousin gave me a startronics 25 watt uv and I am thinking about adding to my tank and just using for like 1 or 2 nights a week to help with the some of the bad stuff, I figure if it was free I might as well try it out. I would use it all the time but I heard it can kill a lot of beneficial stuff as well. I am setting up a 10 gallon quarantine tank and I am going to put a tetratec 5 watt uv on it

5. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Green, 3, 900]That would be my first choice, to put it on a Q-Tank. You want the parasites, et. al., killed in there, period. Hopefully your fish isn't going to be in there long enough for the "good stuff" to become an issue for it.

Second, I might consider running one on a reef tank a couple of days out of the week. Just put it on a timer, and forget it. I think it might be fairly helpful used in that manner.

But, I can't see running one 24/7 on a reef tank. There's just too much "good stuff" in the water that the critters need -- and if you are killing them off all the time, I'm afraid some of your filter feeders, and the like, are going to suffer.
    [/glow]

[glow=Red, 3, 900]On a FOWLR tank, it would probably be a very good piece of equipement. Especially if you have a predator tank and are feeding live food occasionally. A UV on a tank like that would probably help save your fish, many times over.

Those are my thoughts, for what they're worth.
    [/glow] [smiley=square.gif]

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i wasnt thinking about that wrasseman. if it was just for my quarenteen tank then ya i would consider one but perferbly not on my main