UV vs. Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Pipe_Organ, Apr 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

No no I just knew more detail would be needed thier.

The total ammount of biomass is very small John, so the imapct either way doent really make an impact. As above it is more of a disifectant.
    Yes you are dead on. you are refering to P that is bound up originally in the matrix of the critter that makes up what ever the food is. But what we also have to concider is the P that is used to enhance or preserve the processing of the food product. Example: Fresh prawns; are sprayed with a Phosphate salt laiden wash in the boat itself to maintain the color/weight and freshness. It the making of frozen foods such as forumal 1. perservatives are used so that the food survives the processing and packaging and gives it an ammount of shelf life. So in the case of flake not only does it recieve the original P spray from the harvesting in the ocean, but also the preservatives used in processing the food down to flake. With fresh Seafood you can remove the P spray by soaking the food in RO water.

Pipe Phophate is a battle in our tanks, it comes in a variety of forms and is truly a limiting factor. it will not form in our tanks but will only be added (unlike nitrates). We have oppurtunities to remove P when it is in a variety of forms..I tell ya what start up another thread and maybe we can all discuss it in a little more depth.

Mike

2. Click Here!

3. Pipe_Organ

Pipe_Organ Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Okay, I'll just call it "Phosphate" and I'll put it in under General

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Should go under water chemistry

5. Pipe_Organ

oops..... [smiley=dunce2.gif]

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Mike,

Thanks for your information and sharing your experience with Ozone and UV sterilizers :)

It's not something that I have used before and am considering for a new tank set up

As for the P discussion, I'll see you over in the water chemistry forum ( jeez Nautilus is pushy ) :)

Cheers

John

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Hey JohnO [smiley=finger1.gif] LOL kidding.

8. Click Here!

9. Pipe_Organ

Actually the phosphate discussion is in the General catagory unless someone Nauti ::) moved it...

Bad pun but I couldn't resist....

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I didn't move it.... did someone move it? if so they did a good job... thanks :D

[ Water Chemistry ] Phosphate (by Pipe_Organ) Today at 12:46pm

It shows you created it in the Chemistry forum Mister.
    Getting old like me has advantages like forgetfulness.
    The wife asks something... I don't remember....LOL

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Pipe_Organ link=board=General;num=1081106473;start=60#66 date=05/04/04 at 16:20:11]Actually the phosphate discussion is in the General catagory unless someone Nauti ::) moved it...

Bad pun but I couldn't resist....[/quote]

I think he ( Nautilus ) is just on some sort of power trip, what do you reckon? LOL

John

12. Pipe_Organ

It's not easy geting older. Anyway, I'm glad "P" is in the right section

I'm self employed because I can't work for anybody else. I guess I'm on my own power trip.