UV vs. Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Pipe_Organ, Apr 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pipe_Organ

Pipe_Organ Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks Craig,

I tossed my DT Phyto. I'm down to feeding flake every two days and handfeed the corals once a week. Keeping my fingers crossed....

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Flaked food is full of nitrates, do not overfeed! I don't use flaked any more.

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=General;num=1081106473;start=30#41 date=05/02/04 at 18:42:23]Flaked food is full of nitrates, do not overfeed!  I don't use flaked any more.[/quote]

Interesting.  I used nothing but flaked food and had no Nitrate problems :)

John

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I use 90% flake food also by Oceans Nutrition as have no Nitrate issues.
    NiTrates can come with meaty foods like brine shrimp etc... that is not eaten.

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=General;num=1081106473;start=30#43 date=05/02/04 at 19:09:44]I use 90% flake food also by Oceans Nutrition as have no Nitrate issues.
    NiTrates can come with meaty foods like brine shrimp etc... that is not eaten.[/quote]

Maybe it is the ' do not over feed ' part that is important, regardless of the food.

John

7. Pipe_Organ

I'm using Omega One. I have only 3 small fish.  I feed every other day only enough for them to feed for 5 min.  I feed Krill once a week and directly to the anemone and two other corals.

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Just out of interest, does the UV unit actually filter the water ( does it have a filter attachment ) or is it simply a sterilizing unit?

John

10. Pipe_Organ

The UV I bought is just a sterilizer. It's a spiral design which keeps the water exposed to the UV longer.

Craig, you made an interesting comment a couple of posts back. I take it that 3 weeks is not a long time to determine how well the unit is working? I'm a type "A" so I expect everything to work REALLY fast ;D. Is there an approx. time when I can get a fair idea on how well the UV is working?  :)

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I don't use on so I can't say. I use two months or 8 - 10 weeks as my watch and test period. Anything shorter and you will drive yourself nuts. Nothing happens fast in an aquarium except bad things. Ergo the "Go slow and let it grow" mantra from Matt!

12. Pipe_Organ

Going slow and having patience seem to be the toughest things for me to learn. Thanks for the info.