UV vs. Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Pipe_Organ, Apr 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Interesting about the algae and that's wild that you have an LFS that will loan you fish and critters! Urchins are great algae eaters, unfornately they tend to knock over stuff.

2. Click Here!

3. Pipe_Organ

Pipe_Organ Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I was suprised about his being willing to loan livestock out too. I've spent a small fortune with this guy and he saw how frustrated I was. Maybe he was afraid I'd leave the hobby.....

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Pipe_Organ link=board=General;num=1081106473;start=30#31 date=04/18/04 at 12:29:35] I've spent a small fortune with this guy and he saw how frustrated I was...[/quote]

Ahh. Now I understand. ;) :)

5. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Yep the more you spend the better the friend in some stores but one of my favorite lfs (that i don't work at ) is like that and I still shop there

6. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Dont worry about your corraline Pipe, urchins eating will actually promote it. When an urchin or any other type of fish/ivert and so on eat algae the algae, out of instinct will spore, when the critter poops (about 90% of what it eats) it will release the spores into the system. The only thing is that the UV will kill the spores if they pass through it.

Mike

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Even though the urchins eat coaraline, they do release the spores in their excrement, so not all is lost.

8. Click Here!

9. Pipe_Organ

Thanks for the coraline tip. As soon as I feel the bubble algae is under control I'll probably return most of the Urchins. I'll keep a couple just to maintain a status quo.

10. Craig Manoukian

11. Pipe_Organ

The uv has been running now for 3 weeks and I noticed a slow down {less sludge} in the protein skimmer. Is that a cause of the uv doing its job or I have an issue with the skimmer?

12. Craig Manoukian

Don't mean to sound like a smart alec, but who knows after only three weeks. Could be a combination of things that affect your DOCs, and if they been reduced, then your skimmer will have less skimmate. Keep an eye on it and watch your feeding, bioload, etc.