UV vs. Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Pipe_Organ, Apr 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=mojoreef link=board=General;num=1081106473;start=0#13 date=04/06/04 at 06:30:10]While I'm glad the information helped. There seems to be over the last few years a real surge into trying to keep every last little microscopic life form a live in our tanks.  Doing this has really compromised the water quality conditions it most people's tanks.  In all the years of keeping a reef that I have experienced the one methodology that has always worked time after time is to concentrate on keeping great water quality.  If you do that your coral has no other choice but to grow.
    [/quote]
    Water quality...Yes sir this is the foundation of all great reef tanks. RO/DI water is a must have.

4. Pipe_Organ

Pipe_Organ Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Mike, about the Phytoplankton, in your opinion...should I discontinue use or maybe dose every 3~4 days? I'd appreciate your input...How about Black/Brown powder?

5. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Pipe is thier something that rquires Photoplankton in your tank??? and I am not sure what black and brown powders are.

Mike

6. Pipe_Organ

I have a couple of filter feeders. The lemonalia and Neospongodes as well as some sponges that came w/the LR. Black and Brown powder is put out by Spectra Vital a Marc Weiss Product. It claims it's for filter feeders but in a powder form. It also claims to be easily absorbed by a protein skimmer. I was using this before I was talked into using the Phyto. I was thinking of switching back to the powder but dosing only once/week. I'm beginning to learn that some pet suppliers are only interested in selling a product and don't seem to care what it does to your tank.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have looked at Marc Weiss products in the past and always thought if the ingredient are on the bottle then I don't know what I'm putting into my Tank.
    I have also heard many people that have said Marc Weiss products have done little to nothing to there tank inhabitants (good or bad)

8. Click Here!

9. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Most sponges are not the best at taking in particulate matter, some do, but not many. they are more of a polisher and will concsum via dissolved organics and so on. Most filter type feeders will take in and consume detritus and the organics and bacteria associated with it. now we all have a good deal of detritus and so on in our tanks so adding more seems to me to be a step backwards. In my tank I have billions of duster typ worms and sponges are growing so much they are almost becoming a problem. I specifically feed none of them, all I feed is the fish. from thier the extra food, fish poop, detritus and naturally occuring organics feed the balance of the tank.
    Dealing with all of these extra food sources is one of the biggest attles in our systems, so adding more to a system that is already laidened with them is a pretty tough thing to do.

Mike

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Well put, well said Mike! I am slowly getting it!

11. Pipe_Organ

I agree, it all makes sense. I just had to read it first, if that makes any sense. I stopped dosing the Phyto. and I can see a difference in just a week. Thanks for the info. too on the sponges and feather dusters. I have what seems to be 100's of these little red dusters. It's good to know they'll do just fine without any additional feeding.

12. Pipe_Organ

Okay, it's been two weeks since I installed the UV and I hope this isn't wishfull thinking but my algae harvesting has been cut in half. A very good thing. I've also been experimenting with some critters to see if anything will actually eat the stuff. Through my LFS I've been "loaned" various sea urchins, Tangs & Rabbit fish and it seems the Urchins are doing a decent job. The downside is they also eat the Coraline algae. The good news I can return the critters as soon as I'm done with them. I don't have to worry about them starving or totally wiping out my Coraline.