UV vs. Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Pipe_Organ, Apr 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Dave that is the one I was talking about. I guess they have come down in price a bit. You get the whole unit with ballast and bulb. I have four run inline on my system...burn baby burn lol

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=General;num=1081106473;start=75#81 date=05/05/04 at 18:12:00]WOW ok what do you think of this?
    UV Sterilizer Module (40W 1-1/4" slip in, 1" slip out)
    $151.99
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ode matchallany&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Strange wording on this page makes me wonder if the uv light actually comes with this module? what do you guys think?
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]
    Anyone have a comment on this?

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=General;num=1081106473;start=90#91 date=05/06/04 at 03:40:33]
    Anyone have a comment on this?
    [/quote]

Is this thing that bulky almost 3 feet high right?
    Would one need a chiller to run this unit?
    Do you think the 25 watt would be better for my tank?
    it is only about 2 feet high.
    You must have a fish room where your equipment it stored, I am limited on space.
    Was thinking about hanging it from the inside upper section of the stand where I could disconnect it and take it out for cleaning etc... do you think this would work this way?

5. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

yea that would work, they work horizontal or vertical. You could get away with a 25 watt no problem to. Heat is not an issue with UV from my experence with them.

Mike

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Well ordered the 25 watts UV unit and should be at my door tomorrow when I get home.
    [​IMG]

Pentair Aquatics Ultraviolet sterilizers produce U.V. light at 2537 angstroms, exerting a lethal effect on the unwanted, disease causing micro-organisms. Pentair Aquatics U.V. sterilizers, when used properly, are extremely beneficial in destroying disease causing pathogens, harmful bacteria, mold spores, yeast, virus, protozoa, fungi as well as algae. Pentair Aquatics U.V. sterilizers use pure hard quartz material in their bulbs, which dramatically increases the U.V. output as compared to other conventional bulbs of equal wattage. Pure quartz material resists solarization andimproves the longevity of the U.V. bulb. The unique test tube like, pure quartz sleeve isolates the bulb from water contact, providing an optimal bulb operating temperature of 100º f (38º c). This optimal bulbtemperature results in a 35% higher U.V. output over conventional units without sleeves.

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Naut, be very careful when installing or cleaning the bulb (6-8 month dependable life- don't believe their hype)and sleeve (clean the sleeve often). I've broken a few of those sleeves and they aren't cheap, but cleaning them really improves the penetration of the UV.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Gresham link=board=General;num=1081106473;start=90#95 date=05/06/04 at 14:59:58]Naut, be very careful when installing or cleaning the bulb (6-8 month dependable life- don't believe their hype)and sleeve (clean the sleeve often). I've broken a few of those sleeves and they aren't cheap, but cleaning them really improves the penetration of the UV.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.... how often do you clean them?
    how is yours setup?

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Post some pics of your new addition Dave!

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I try to clean them around every 2 months. I've set those up in both configs, upright and on there "side" hanging. To be honest, if you have the room, run it upright, its easier to deal with (ie, water stays in the tube, not all over the floor ;) )

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest