UV Sterilizer - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by sticksmith23, Jan 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

yeah, i agree. Manderins eat up a pod population like crazy unless you have a nice pod population in a fuge.

I will have to look up why it would stop pod pupulation. In my 3 years of knowing about them, ive heard of it..But from experience ive never seend it happen. Pods are goin crazy in the coral tank.

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I'm just a noob here I could be wrong!:)

Haha cosmo, it happens!:D

4. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

I consider myself a fan of them now. It has been the only thing that has been able to clear up my cloudy water. I probably won't have mine in my tank running all the time, but I will definitely keep using it.

About the pods, whether it messes with them or not, they have to be sucked up into it in the first place. Since UVs generally want slower flows, I find it unlikely that every pod will end up being exposed to the bulb.

5. SwimsWithFish

6. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Then why wouldn't this also be the case for Ich?

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Because different organisms react differently to UV! Some require x amount of a dose at X amount of time and others more and others less! ICH seems to require a higher dose than most dangerous organism, hence why its hard to eradicate!

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Nano-Reef.com Forums > uv sterilzer can they kill ich

lol a lnk to all the questions, renderring pods sterile, killing ich! assuming these guys know what they're talking about! you make the call! but i did read a study that said ich needed a high dose for a long period!

10. SwimsWithFish

Haha those nano-reef guys are fun.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

never really been on their except to steal ideas! lol

12. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

thats my point, if your running a UV to kill anything it typically needs a good dose of UV. aiptasia spores, ICH, but all it takes is one x-ray to the ballsack and your sterile for life.

if you want your sterilizer to work, how will it be very effective in a low flow area if the parasitic infested water is not going to all get much exposure, thus making it harder to kill ich, so wouldnt u want it in a better spot, then making pods get sucked in a little easier.

just seems like it would slowly decline your pod count because they can't get it on! unless ofcourse your dosing pod's monthly like the OP said then no need to even be reading this lol