UV Sterilizer - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by sticksmith23, Jan 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I am currently running a UV Sterilizer, but I don't think it is really worth it. The reason why I bought it in the first place was to help prevent ICH. Now with further reading, it can help against outbreaks, but is not a very good preventive measure after all.

Secondly, now I am reading that it isn't good for your pod population. I can see where UV light could kill pods, but does it? I'm seeing more cons then pros, and I am thinking that it would be better to just go ahead and take it down for now and maybe keep it set aside for a HT or QT set up instead. I still believe that it is a good piece of equipment to have at home though.

2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

We use them at the fish store and our water is crystal clear, kills the bad bacteria, we recommend them to all our customers and the all come back with positive results. You need a good one though, and one that is right for your tank size.

The majority of people who buy them are the ones who are having ich problems or water clarity problems. They all said their problems went away after about 48 hours of running it the water improved and it will help alot with ICH.

I would keep it running.

1 person likes this.
  4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Have you ever noticed any problems with pod counts declining?

5. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I've heard that the UV doesn't kill the pods, it inhibits them from breeding. So
    I would imagine that it would affect your pod pop.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  6. Zoanthids21

nope, i look at the coral tanks all the time and the first thing i see on the glass and bottom of the tank are filled with different types of pods.

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Very cool. That is what I was looking for. Thanks. I have read so much conflicting info on this, that I wanted somebody that has experience with this to chime in.

8. Click Here!

9. Zoanthids21

No problem. I had on small one in my biocube a while ago and my pods were still there. If they were still there through that in my tiny 29g then they should be fine.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

just curious, how would it stop them from breeding! Not saying it doesn't, just wondering why!

Sticksmith, after our talking about ich i went and read a ton on them! This is my take! Ya need a huge UV light with slow flow to kill ich! Your average uv sterilizer will stop some of the buggers but not alot! What it does is kill the other bad guys in the tank so your fish's immune system isn't worn down fighting those guys and can concentrate on the ich!

that being said, i'm about 60% in favor of them! easilt swayed at this point!

11. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

When I was starting off a few months ago I was looking into one. I read an article that said it stops them from breeding. It messes with there reproductive system. BUT, they said it would only be an issue of you were trying to keep a mandarin or something that eats pods. It won't desimate the pop but it will keep it small.

But since you don't have a mandarin it shouldnt be a problem.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I actually do have a mandarin! But i seed the tank with pods monthly and pull a decent amount out of my fuge every now and then! My fuge looks like its snowing these days!:)

early one morning the sun was shining i was laying in bed wondering if she changed at all, if your hair was still red!

lol, everytime i see your pic a song gets stuck in my head!