Uv steralizer?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by martygary, Sep 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Just so we are clear U.V. doesn't actually kill anything.It just sterilzes things so they cannot reproduce.;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

HMM, I've read that it will kill stuff, but the intensity of the UV and the duration is insane to do it, but a normal one, as you state, does only sterilize. Wrong??? Either way,the theory sounds the same.;)

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I used to think the same as Cosmo but my black tang was sooooo close to death. Almost 80 percent of his body was covered with ick. And it turned around. The only reason I used UV was because I was desperate and it hadn't sold yet /shrug

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I bought a UV sterilizer solely due to an Ich outbreak, my yellow tang was WHITE. And I would agree that if UV helps, it would be during a ICH "bloom". I added the UV afterwards to prevent another outbreak, but after researching all that has to happen for it to affect ICH, I removed it. The intensity of light and duration of exposure needed just doesn't add up. But, it does have the benefit of killing other diseases as well, so, that alone, may help a fish battle off Ich. I'd say, if you can afford it, don't mind another piece of electronics and maintenance costs, then its not a bad add to a tank. But, it's not worth it to me. Hence why mine will be for sale as soon as I hear back from a few people that may/may not want it;):(

EDIT, If I had Alex's black tang, I'd be running ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to keep that thing alive, that thing is awesome;)

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Yeah I thought he was dead for sure. Of course my bulb burned out during a forgetful top off moment so I've been uv free for months but I won't add a fish until its replaced.
    As far as Ick is concerned, its not logical, but it will help with several undesirable effects on the aesthetics of a reef tank alone, and it certainly won't hurt anything other than a pocketbook.

7. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I run an oversized uv on my system I never have had ICH but I always try to spot a problem way before it gets in the big tank. small 1 gallon desktop tank fill with water, bam insta hospital tank/ acclimation tank/sick tank, LOL I delt with ICH in fresh water and it killed almost everything.

UV light = good IMO but the same as stated above you cant filter all of you water at any given time just not possible.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yuuuppppp!

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I think this guy knows a little something about water.LOL
    AZ Desert Rat:
    UV is a waste of energy on a reef system. For one it inactivates beneficial organisms along with the bad ones, for another it adds unneeded heat to the water column and for another they are almost always underpowered and poorly designed foir their intended purpose. The contact time and the wattage are way too low to be beneficial in most cases.
    On the flip side I used one on my 90G comunity tank and you couold visibly see when the bulb needed changing or cleaning just by the actions of the fish, color of the water and general condition of the tank. Fish only sure, reef no but it still needs to be sized properly to receive much benefit.
    UV is very misunderstood, it does not kill anything. It does alter the cell structure of free swimming or floating things that are exposed to it though so they cannot reproduce and they eventually become extinct unless repopulated from anothe rsource like newly introduced fish, rock or other inhabitants.

11. martygary

martygary Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks everyone!! I agree i dont think it eorks for ick! My fish look good tonay. Only my powder blue looks bad but better than yesterday!! Eating good!!

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Marine Ich is a parasite NOOZE.

Before you try a UV for parasites you need to understand their life cycle/stages.

I believe Vinny is correct, UV does not kill organisms, it causes mutations of their cellular structures causing them to be unable to reproduce.

It's all a mote point if you are not running the right UV filter.