UV or not UV, that is the question

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by GraviT, Sep 25, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Looking for some input on weather or not to install a UV sterilizer into my reef tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I  had one for a long time, but I really never knew if it did anything... a few weeks ago when i built my refugium, I disconnected the UV and never hooked it back up.. I figured it was a waste of electricity. BUT I really will never know if it ws usfull or not. Mine is an Angstrom 8watt

4. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

I have a 15 watt AquaUV and I love it, I dont have to clean the algae off the glass half as often as I did before I got the UV and the water has a clearer more polished look, not to mention it kills free floating parasites. Im sure there are pros and cons with using a sterilizer but I have never noticed any bad side effects since I've been using one, and anything that helps me do less cleaning and maintenance on my tank just makes me enjoy it that much more. I would recomend it to everbody.

5. dbates

dbates Plankton

I have a 9 watt coral life on my 55 gal., i got it to keep ich at bay on my hepatus tang, seeing as how tangs "love" letting themselves get infected. It has helped to keep parasites low, but i guess i cant really tell you if it has had a negative effect on my corals. IT really comes down to what you're planning on keeping, more importantly fish than corals. And i do have a clam in the tank, its been doing fine. IF you are thinking about having tangs or other sensitive fish, you should go ahead and get it. You can always take it off later.

6. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

120 watts on mine, 24/7

Mike

7. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

I borrowed a UV system from my lfs for a couple of months and i think they work good for keeping parasites at bay, it helped me to get rid of ich in my system but unless i get a lot of ich outbreaks i don't know if i would buy one for myself. Then again i don't know what other advantages these things have.

Ice

8. Click Here!

9. da colts

da colts Skunk Shrimp

18 watt coralife on my reef with 7 clams and a thorny oyster, 18 watt jebo on my all fish tank, no ich outbreak since putting it on. pic of reef .

10. da colts

da colts Skunk Shrimp

here is a pic of the fish tank

11. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

12. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

da_colts

wow those are nice setups you got there especially the reef system [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=drool.gif]

Peter