Using Eggcrate on tank bottom, pros/cons?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by MoJoe, Dec 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Setting up my new tank and debating using eggcrate on the tank bottom again, as I currently have in my 55g.

Will eggcrate eventually create pockets of debris/gunk in the sandbed? Is it still recommended for helping rock stability & keeping pressure points off the tank bottom?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I tossed this idea around a lot and in the end - when I was putting my 120 together I decided to just go with a layer of sand on the bottom first (1/2" or so) and then put the base rock in - then I put most of the rest of the sand - covering some of the base rock but making it very stable. The rest of my rock has been stacked on this base for 7 months now and going strong with no shifts or landslides!!!

I also read a lot of conflicting reports and because I went with a DSB I was afraid of Hydrogen Sulfide buildup in the pockets created by the eggcrate.

In a shallow sandbed that is fully disturbed to the bottom constantly - there is probably more confidence with using egg crate there or obviously with bare-bottom it is no problem whatsoever with proper flow.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for your input, I am still tossing it around as you were. Concerned about the buildup but also a tad worried about pressure points from stacks. I am putting about 75lbs of sand in so will have a decent sand bed but nothing extremely deep. Hmmmmm

1 person likes this.
  5. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

something else I toyed around with was just putting smaller pieces of eggcrate where the pressure points on the rock will be - it will minimize the amount of trapped pockets that might occur.

1 person likes this.
  6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Yeah I thought about that too. Just wondering if the whole "trapped pockets" is rooted in fact or worry.

7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I highly doubt that anyone has actually done a study on trapped pockets from using eggcrate.

Personally, I would not do it with a DSB. Too close to a plenum, but not correct. I think it would cause problems.
    I do use it on my 3" sand bed.
    I regret it at times.... It scares me when a wrasse digs in for the night.

8. Click Here!

9. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

On the fresh water side I've done a lot of heavy rock work over the years placing either on silica sand, pea gravel or directly on the glass without any issues..

Have also done 'expoxy feet' on pieces that I questioned the contact points.

10. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I use egg crate on the bottom to distribute the pressure points. Especially if you have alot of weight piled up on a few "foundation" rocks. You could just cut smaller pieces of egg crate to size and just put them under the main pressure points. This way you still have the distribution of weight and the added protection against burrowing gobies. And you still have the front sand bed just sitting on the glass so it can shift around freely.

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I was debating egg crate when I was setting up my 75. I decided not to use it because it would create dead spots in the sand. You may want to look in to star board. It will work just lile egg crate but with no dead spots.

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I wouldn't bother with the eggcrate unless you have rock stacked very high and a shallow sand bed.

but there probably aren't any cons with it really, unless you have a bb tank it would trap detritus.