Using bio-pellets with or without gfo, carbon & cheato.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by nanomania, Jul 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I note from your other thread, there is an Acro frag already in the set up
    so reducing those trates, would be a good idea IMO
    high nitrates , can cause increased symbiotic algae production in the SPS corals (Zooxanthellia) and to many of these , mean a nice purple coral for example becomes a plain brown coral

Bio pellets is one method
    you could also look at

reducing your feeding = feed frozen more than dry and thaw out and discard the water that the frozen food, is frozen in
    increasing the number and type- of macro algae
    increasing the photo period for lighting in the fuge
    when performing water changes syphon from any areas that detritus can collect (syphon over cracks/ crevises in rockwork for example)
    if your running a sump - what is in there ( if its anything other than water, and equipement that may be a source of your nitrate issue)
    blast the rockwork with a power head once a month to drive out any collected crud that has settled in there
    use a sock or filter pad on the end of your overflow to collect this otherwise it just goes around and settles elsewhere and your back where you started from
    increasing the amount and frequency of water changes - in line with doing the above things

2. Click Here!

3. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Oh ok... well currently my sump photo period is 14hrs night and DT is 10hrs day. cheato growing at good rate.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I would strongly disagree. Technically, it is true that GFO will remove carbon and GFO phosphate, however, there are two caveats.

1) Bacteria, or death of bacteria can release toxins which are removed by especially GAC, and possibly GFO. This is very important IMO. Also, if there is a something, such as a limitation, preventing bacteria from utilizing carbon, GAC will help keep down the carbon level and prevent levels from skyrocketing.

2) As some of the bacteria utilizing the carbon source also reduce nitrogen, nitrogen may become limited before phosphate, allowing phosphate to build. In this case some GFO is useful. Also, GFO is very good at reducing toxic metals, which probably exist in high quantities in our system, so, this is very important.

From this article, when running GAC and protein skimming, carbon still remained near natural ocean levels with carbon dosing. Granted this is just one article, but it shows that GAC does not necessarily reduce carbon to insufficient levels, at least when dosing a carbon source as well.
    Feature Article: Bacterial Counts in Reef Aquarium Water: Baseline Values and Modulation by Carbon Dosing, Protein Skimming, and Granular Activated Carbon Filtration — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

5. nanomania

awsm thread but it dint write anything about GFO..

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

? I am not sure what you mean, you mentioned GFO twice in your "comments".

7. nanomania

use gfo or no with bp? in ur article, i saw they have not mentioned about using gfo