Using bio-pellets with or without gfo, carbon & cheato.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by nanomania, Jul 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Hey guys, I have read many mix comments on Bio-pellets.

List of comments:
    1] If u use bio-pellets, no use of gfo and carbon as it remover both.
    2] Biopellets can kill macro algae by starving it for nutrients.
    3] U can use biopellets with cheato, just use a bit less pellets than recomended.
    4] Biopellets can kill all fishes.
    5] Mr.Saltwater tank uses gfo and carbon with biopellets
    6] Biopellets and a good skimmer is all you need.
    7] Biopellets can cause cayno out break.

Im dam confused. As per point no.2, i want macro for growing pods and feeding algae eaters.

I have TLF BP 200ml packet but no reactor as ill use them once im convinced.

PLEASE HELP......

2. Click Here!

3. nanomania

anyone? please help........

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

All are true depending on the circumstances. I would avoid using bio pellets with GFO and carbon as they will compete for the same DOC.

I am not sure about the fish deaths though. That sounds a little out there. Your corals could definitely have problems since your water will become much cleaner and the lighting will become more effective without DOC to color the water and diffuse the energy. Also less food will be available to the corals.

5. nanomania

what about macro algae like cheato? will it survivie?? als what about the pod population?

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Both may have troubles.

7. nanomania

well what should i do? my nitrates remain between 10-15. ok for softies and lps and fishes... i had a really bad experience dosing vodka.....

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

All the things below could happen

NB
    it is well documented on various locations on the www, that pellets (polymers) may be a form of free carbon that is easier for cyno to utilize, hence there is a greater potential for cyno appearing in tanks that use Pellets as their carbon dosing method
    Vodka - Ethanol is often mentioned as the 2nd most likely
    Vinegar - Acetate being the source of free carbon - is the least likley to encourage cyno (but it still can)

Swisswiss likes this.
  10. nanomania

Hey thanks thats the best answer i got..... well about using, they suggest starting from half the dose suggested.... i was planning to start from 1/4th dose..... any idea?

11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi nanomania

it is a very good idea to start slow and build up, same with anything in our reef tanks IME
    Changes, even changes designed to improve things, if done to quickly, can cause negative reactions in our aquariums, with our inhabitants

what are your aims for the pellets?
    I note you have Trates at about 15ppm, which as you rightly stated is not bad for softies and LPS corals
    do you have a specific reason for going the pellet route?

Steve

12. nanomania

well i wana go for pellets coz i want my nitrates to be no more than 5. i dont want 0 nitrates as some softies require nitrates. or do u suggest i wait? my cheato has becomes 3 times in 3 weeks. i know a reefer who has 0 nitrates and is not being able to grow toadstool and some lps where as all sps grow like weed in his tank...... im not fond of acros much as they look artificial sometimes (thats what i feel) but want some montis and a good looking acro....