Used terrarium into marine aquarium?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by euthyphro, Nov 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. euthyphro

euthyphro Flamingo Tongue

Man I am learning so much about saltwater aquariums right now, I can not wait until i finally start mine. Im going to be starting finals pretty soon and the only thing i can think about is starting my tank. Thanks for all of the help everyone.

Now I have yet another question. The tank that I am planning on turning my saltwater aquarium into used to be a terrarium- for about five years. Is this a good idea? Is there any method by which i should clean it if i do? If I rinse it really, really good- should i use bleach or ammonia? Its a pretty nice tank and I dont want to shell out cash for a new one unless it is necessary.

Also, Im a little worried about the plastic flap that the lid swings on as well as the plastic strip that keeps the bow from cracking off (along the middle top part of the tank). Im worried that these things will interfere with my halide lamp that i just recently ordered on ebay. If there is anyone with a bow tank and a halide lamp, please tell me if the plastic strips cause any problems and if they can be overcome. once again, thanks everyone for all the advice i have been receiving.

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I don't know much about terrariums but I just took my freshwater aquarium that I have run for about 18 year and changed it over to a marine aquarium. I left the water and filter with the same media in it and took out the driftwood and gravel and added live salt, live rock and I have had no problems out of it yet. I just added salt for my salinity and kept the water because it already had bacteria developed.My ammonia and nitrates never did spike. Not saying that this is the correct way to do things but as of today, six weeks into the tank, it has been doing well.;D

4. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

I've been building vivariums for years, you shouldn't have any troubles converting your terrarium. I would check the silicone well, you may want to reseal it as it's going to be a pain to seal when its full of water and fish. Clean the glass well with some bleach water and get the trouble spots with a razor blade.

I'd run the aquarium with an open top so I wouldn't worry about the glass hood and hinge (I think that's what your referring to.) The center brace needs to be there, it helps to keep the tank from bowing. It should be fine as long as the halides aren't right on it. You can try replacing it with clear acrylic.