Upset

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Nytewatch, Jan 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nytewatch

Nytewatch Astrea Snail

Wow guys - thank you for these responses! Seriously the boost helps, and I'm thinking now that I may take option #2 and just try to feed and reduce stress, try some garlic etc. Meanwhile I do have the QT up and running, so I could use the time to cycle that and be ready in case any of the fish really start to crash. Worst case I can pull all the live rock to get at the fish. Kind of needed a new aquascape anyway. Plus I could scrub the hair algae off that one rock...

....sigh ok calming down a bit. Just time and money right? Heh.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

perfect man! i'd say buy some medicine tomorrow just in case and keep the receipt! ya can always return it! i used Instant ocean lifeguard, heard good things about seahchem paraguard! But i wouldn't stress too much yet! keep em eating! get the garlic extract and especially make sure the tang is being fed some nori! good luck and relax for the time being! chances are you;ll be ok! but def get that QT ready and medicine just in case!

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

may be a good idea to raise the temp a bit to speed up the proscess and get the ich off the fish!

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Changing the temp. is a very bad idea. Keep your parameters as stable as possible.

6. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

If the tang has only been in the system for a Short time I would remove it before it spreads.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

i thought certain people advised to slowly raise the temp a few degrees to about 82 to speed up the lifecycle to rid the fish of it was advised! My bad if its not! Vinny is the guru on this!

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

If this is a fowlr then maybe consider hypo salinity? 1.010 I believe?

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Its not! The OP is on the right track!

11. Nytewatch

Nytewatch Astrea Snail

Update - well after writing my original post here, I wrote to my LFS and filled them in on the situation. The owner didn't get my email until the next afternoon due to work/travel but when she did she informed me that a clown fish had died in the same tank my Tang had come from. They confirmed under a microscope that the clown had Brooklynella. So she strongly advised me to get the tang out of the tank and treat with quick cure (malachite green/formaline) instead of copper. Unfortunately three fish stores didn't carry it, and it took me until this afternoon to find some and I just started treating tonight. He is not looking good at all - lost color, listless, not eating. Tried soaking food in garlic but no interest.

I am hoping I can bring him back, and mainly that the rest of the tank didn't get infected. But it's highly contagious from what I have read, and the tang was in with my other 3 fish (clown, hippo tang, and royal gramma) for 2 full days....

We shall see what happens. Think I'll get anywhere asking for replacement fish from the LFS if they don't make it? They are very reputable, but I also know this hobby is "at your own risk".

12. Nytewatch

Nytewatch Astrea Snail

Need a little advice. Have had the Yellow tang in a QT tank dosed with Quick Cure (Formaline, Malachite Green) for a week now. He still seems pale in color, and has a velvet looking coating so I have to assume it's still Brooklynella. But though he moves around a bit more, and is eating some nori - he still doesn't look great.

So should I keep him in there, refreshing the drops of Quick Cure each day as I have been according to the instructions? Everything I read said they usually clear up in under 5 days.

Also my hippo tang in my DT now has white spots on him - looks like ich, but as he was in the tank with the Yellow tang, I'm wondering if it's Brooklynella. Should I pull him out and put him in with the Yellow Tang? If I do that - should I go through a typical acclimation (float, exchange water etc.)