Upset Frogspawn

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by PghSteeler, Aug 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I am not sure what happened since the frogspawn has been happy since I bought it about 3 weeks ago. Today it never expanded and looks to have some damaged tissue. No brown jelly or anything but some of the tentacles are shriveled up and fuzzy/white. Its not real bad just a real small area, so I used a turkey baster to blow it off and whatever was still stuck to the coral I sucked into the baster to help tear away from the colony.

Ammonia and nitrite are both 0, nitrate was around 10, SG 1.026, CA 420, Mag 1500, Alk 10 dkh, ph 8.0.

Only recent changes are a skimmer I placed about 3 days ago and been skimming wet, plan on doing a 30% WC tomorrow and changing the carbon out since I will be leaving Saturday AM and unable to check in or do any maintenance for about 10-11 days.

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

Pictures always worth a thousand words so here ya go
    [​IMG]

Seems like it was all in the lower right corner of the coral

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Are you checking that SG with a refractometer?
    Is there a reason your mag is at 1500, are you battling byropsis?
    Are there any fish attempting to reside in the corals?
    Are there other corals close enough that it could have been stung by sweep tentacles at night?
    Thanks for the image too. :)

5. PghSteeler

Answers in bold

6. MuddyMudskipper

MuddyMudskipper Astrea Snail

For what it's worth, I have a green and purple frogspawn, and it regularly shrivels up and gets fuzzy and white like that, and then a day later is all blown up and happy.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Was the swing arm calibrated?Swing arms are normally farther off then refractometers.I would use a calibration liquid.And O yeah the clowns won't host it but may be hosted by it.LOL Not quite sure why you would want your clowns in it as they usually kill Euphilia's.;)