"Upgrading" to LED!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Zero_Dude, Nov 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yep, I agree. if they are a concern of yours, the decision could be an easy one.

2. Click Here!

3. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

I can say, that you will not be dissapointed with LEDs, they work great. But, all other lighting works fine too. But i can tell you, from having LEDs in my tank, actually not very high lighting i got, even though i've been able to keep most corals. I've only lost 1 coral! And that was an acropora. Everything else i have is doing really well. You can just make some DIY LEDs, they work fantastic either way, and they are so much cheaper. But if you're a DIY person, just get a fixture or something. But all advanced reefers i've heard of, have almost all of them upgraded to LEDs

4. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I contacted the seller I got the fixture from, and unfortunately can't trade it in! I guess I'll be stuck trying to sell it on here or kijiji! :p

5. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

So I've decided to go LED! Going to do some research for DiY and store-bought. I have a thread on a few forums, including this one.

6. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

After doing my research.. I decided I'm most likely going with the "Aquaillumination Vega LED Module Light System (Blue)"! My friend has a 90G with this fixture as well. He has two of them, which he says is enough. Just to be sure though, is 2 enough? And does anyone have experience with this fixture?

7. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

With the tax return coming up, I will be near (or at) the point of getting the LEDs! However, I wanted to know if there was any kind of particularly good combination for LPS/softies. I want my tank to be dominated by these types, because I love the way they sway with the flow. I won't be keeping sps (aside from what I have now), so what would be a good combination?

I still haven't decided on exactly which fixture, but I'm really leaning towards AI Vega.

Vega Color

White
    Royal Blue
    Blue
    Deep Blue

Vega Blue

White
    Royal Blue
    Blue
    Deep Blue
    Green
    Deep Red

Hydra Gen 2

4 Cree XT-E Cool White
    2 OSRAM OSLON Deep Red
    2 Cree XP-E Green
    4 Cree XT-E Royal Blue
    4 OSRAM OSLON Very Deep Blue
    2 SemiLED 415nm Violet
    2 Edison Opto 400nm UV

I realize these fixtures are all customizable, but these are the combos that the supplier I use, come with. If they aren't suitable or if there are way better combos for lps/softies, I'd be willing to look elsewhere!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014