"Upgrading" to LED!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Zero_Dude, Nov 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Well then I would recommend changing if you want to. Like I said, you could sell your current fixture to offset the costs ;)

2. Click Here!

3. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

This is the kind of thread that will do that. Everyone usually just replies with what they have and if they like it or not. And don't try to compare wattage between the two, because it is just a waste of time. Apples and oranges.

You have a great T5 fixture and are running great bulbs, so you can't go wrong either way. It really just comes down to personal preference. I went from a 4-bulb T5 to my 28-LED setup a year and a half ago and never will go back. Love the look of the light, the cooler running temp, and not having to replace bulbs.

I recently upgraded tanks, so I have the LED fixture on one side and my T5 on the other until I build my second LED fixture. Really prefer the look of the LED side compared to the T5 side, but like I said, this is all personal preference.

Another thing to mention besides power use and bulb replacement is a LED fixture can be customizable. If you go DIY, you choose your LEDs, spectrum, placement, and all that jazz. If you go store bought, there are some really great fixtures with in depth software customization. And if you go DIY, you can repair/replace as necessary. Last night I removed all of my lower quality color and UV LEDs and replaced them with higher quality ones with better lenses.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agreed, it's a matter of personal choice at this point. If you do decide to make the switch, research, research, and research some more. Read reviews and ask lots of questions; you can never get to much information, as the term "LED" covers a very broad spectrum. There are a lot of great value-priced fixtures on the market as well as the more expensive top-end models. However, there are also some cheap (made) units that aren't good for anything but lighting a FO tank, some of which also have a very short lifespan for the price.

5. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I do plan to do a lot of research! I don't want to rush into buying another fixture.. I emailed the seller I got my fixture from, to see if I could return mine, get an LED fixture, and pay the difference (just to see if it was an option).

Which do you prefer on your tanks? DIY or storebought? And why?

I'd WANT to do it myself, but I'd have no idea where to start; though I'm sure there are a bunch of threads out there on how to do it. But I'd also want a store-bought fixture for all the software settings and etc, plus having an actual warranty, etc. I know it's a lot to think about.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

6. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

My T5 bulbs were done in 6 months so the costs were doubled.

I changed to led reefbreeders photon32's. X2. Units and never looked back, tank is only fowlr, the lights are probably only on 40% power, love what they look like, would be thrilled to try a coral or 2, but my emporer angel eats everything I try.

7. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

I prefer DIY just because I'm a tinkerer. When I was shopping around for my fixture, there weren't many full spectrum options. The available ones were also extremely pricey. You have some great full-spectrum options now from store bought fixtures.

There are a bunch of threads and instructions online, I wouldn't worry. It is pretty straightforward. The hardest part is not accidentally nicking the LEDs with the soldering iron.

Warranty is definitely a plus. If something does go wrong with your DIY fixture, it can always be repaired yourself. The software out there is pretty awesome. I use a BoostLED Typhon controller and it does everything I would want. It is open source and programmable, so it is capable of doing whatever you can write for it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

why was this?

10. aerobeemer

aerobeemer Plankton

Build my led

I have a 14k version on my nano. They offer 12,14,and 20K as well as an actinic versions or you can customize. They are dimmable and can be used with a controller. Very reasonably priced. They have some great info about LEDs and PAR values that help to understand LED lighting - great even if you don't buy from them.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That's true, but it seems to me that most people end up upgrading to something else after 3 years or so anyways. Same goes with LEDs.

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That's true.