Upgrading The Coralife Aqualight Pro 2x150 Halide

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ReefSparky, Apr 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

yea... dont worry bout that... I felt the same way. I was like these are too blue. But you will be pleasantly surprised how much it settles down. Its actually a very beautiful light color after a few weeks.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

LOL yea it took me a bit longer than expected too. I didnt realize what i was getting into until i put my hands on the project.

But im sure youll agree it was fun and well worth the buck.

1 person likes this.
  4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Alright then!! We've got an exclusive club of 3. Nice work, guys!

How's 'bout some pictures?

1 person likes this.
  5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I took plenty and I'll post up to help others.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So here we go. It took a while because I had to wait on the UPS man that was late. Then I had to figure something out with screws and had to run to the store.

I would not have been able to just do this myself. I can't thank Sparky and Tatted enough. I will add my two cents, but I take no credit. I was just following what others had done before me.

So. I sliced into the actinincs and used terminal blocks like ReefSparky did. I liked it when my fan turned off with the halides. One reason I did it this way was because My AC Jr. has safety statement that if the temp gets to 82 then turn off the halides. With the actinics running the fan, if that was to ever happen the fan will stay on and continue to cool the fixtures.

[​IMG]

I used existing wire to do this. When I cut the halides wires out, I used some of that wire to make the pass through jumper. I used some excess fan wire to make the fan jumper. There was plenty to be had.

Next, I cut out the old halide wires and ignitors. I set the new socket into the fixture. I really didn't want to make new plates. Here is what I had.

[​IMG]

The screw on the left is the ones that came out of the 150w sockets. The next one was the screws that came with the new 250w sockets. The next is a #6 3/4 machine screw and the last a #8 3/4 machine screw.

I drilled out existing holes which was a mistake. I didn't want to use the old screws. The new screws would not work. So off to the store for the machine screws and some washers.

All you need are some #6 3/4 pan head screws, and some #6 and #8 washers. The holes in the new 250w sockets are big and need washers to fill the gap. Also, the old screws are 5/8, so a couple of washers didn't hurt.

ReefSparky explained to me I would have to run the new power cords down to the end of the fixture. I decided to use the existing wire that was ran from where the power cords entered to the socket at the end. I used butt slices to connect the socket wires to the existing wire then to the new power cords.

[​IMG]

I used some spare screws that were not needed to ground the new power cords. Be sure to scrape down to bare metal to get a good bond for ground. Spliced in the power cords with butt splices. Fastened everything down. Tied everything up, and I was done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supplies used:

#6 3/4 pan head machine screws
    #8 3/4 pan head machine screws
    #6 washers
    #8 washers
    terminal block
    Blue (14-16) butt splices.

7. ReefSparky

Great work, Kevin. :)

Glad it all worked out for you. Do you have 4 LEDs, or just 3 like mine?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So for the before and after. I really love my halides. They are very bright. But after looking at them for a while, they are yellow. Coralife 10K bulbs about 10-11 months old.

[​IMG]

I don't think the photo does the color justice. Yes it is white, but I don't think it shows the yellow. I also probably has something to do with day time. I wanted a true color, so I took this after dark.

So now for the Phoenix 14K in 250w

[​IMG]

Ummm... so ya... they're blue. This is also dark now. I must say though, this is not true color either. It is much whiter brighter than this, but ya... they're blue.

Now through this, I found out my actinics are not even actinics. One is actinic, one has to be Coralife's 10K bulb. When I replace them, I'm not sure what I will use.

1 person likes this.
  10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Could not have done it without you. I have 4.

11. ReefSparky

I haven't looked into it yet, but if the ballast will physically fit, I might try to put a pair of T5's on each edge of the fixture where the compact fluorescents used to be.

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Are T5s all that much better than power compacts? I liked the electronic ballasts and 250w halides, but I will probably call it good at this point.