Upgrading The Coralife Aqualight Pro 2x150 Halide

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ReefSparky, Apr 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

They're better. They're more efficient. If I can fit 4 in total, and the ballast fits, I might just do it.

I would consider cannibalizing my TX5 for the parts. I already have the ballasts and bulbs. Best of both worlds.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ya, I was tapped out before I did this last upgrade. I'm definitely done for a while.;)

4. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

VERY COOL POWERMAN!!! Dont worry powerman... that blue will settle down. Trust me.

I will definitely post some pics. as soon as i get a camera. My tank is rockin now. All my coral is definitely thriving. I will try to get some pics up this weekend. really wanna show you the difference of my tank when i first posted compared to now. With all the new coral i have in there.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I was worried that my fish would look washed out like with the actinics. I was very happy to see that is not the case. They are very colorful still. My corals look good too. So we shall see. The blueness.. eh. The whiteness, I'm definitely lovin that over the 10Ks.

Like I mentioned, I didn't even know I had a 10K florescent in there. I think I am going to like the Phoenix, and I still might not run actinics. Seem folks run halides for growth, and supplement with actinics for the hell of it. Well, if my halides give the color I want, I might just use regular PC bulbs. We'll see.

6. tatted4ever

definitely keep your actinics. switch em on and off you will see a difference. actinics give it the "fluorescent" look. And definitely highlight colors nicely.

7. tatted4ever

I know im posting in a thread thats a little old but.... Reef sparky I have been thinking bout doing this. I have seen some nice t5 setups.

I have seen solely t5s over sps. And am in disbelief on how much intensity they put off.

Id really like to replace my power compacts. I have about 6 more months until they are do to be replaced. Maybe i will just do the mod then. If you ever get your hands on that mod PLEASE let me know.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

I've decided against that mod, tatted4ever. The T5 ballast will not fit inside the fixture. I suppose I could make the ballast for the 4 T5s external as is the halide ballast, but when it comes down to return on investment--the money spent on the ballast is not going to be realized, or earned back as it were, by simply replacing two 96W compact fluorescent bulbs with 4 T5s for a total of 216W. Spending all that money for a net difference of 24W doesn't seem worth it.

If you decide to do it, though; let me know. I'm happy to walk you through it as we did with the halide upgrade. It's not hard to do from an electrical standpoint.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  10. tatted4ever

Reefsparky!!!I have a ? is how do you keep your tank temps down with your lights so close to your water. I beleive you just use the legs that came with the lights...

11. ReefSparky

I'm going to get a chiller. Yes, I do use the legs.

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I moved my lights up 3 inches and it made a good bit of difference after the 250s. I have not been running my chiller for a couple months now to see if I could get away without one. Well, I put it back in yesterday. I will probably only need it for 4 months out of the year. I thought about fans, but I already have the chiller.