Upgrading The Coralife Aqualight Pro 2x150 Halide

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ReefSparky, Apr 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I'd like to use my present Coralife Halide fixture with stronger halide bulbs. It's presently hosting 2-150W bulbs. I'd like to replace them with 250W bulbs. The housing of the fixture itself needs no reworking. The two 150W HQI (double ended) bulbs are easily replaced by two 250W bulbs. I'll pull new, larger AWG wire from the reflectors to the edge of the housing to accomodate the increased amperage draw. That's the easy part. :-/

The hard part as I see it, is putting a new, generic ballast in place of my coralife ballasts. Here's a few pics of the ballast and the connections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two exterior 150 ballasts have proprietary connectors. I've been looking online for either a dual 250W ballast, or two 250W single ballasts. The latter would be more expensive, so I'm leaning towards the dual unit. Unfortunately, like my current model, they all seem to have proprietary (i.e. PFO style) connectors. I'm able to cut the connectors off and place a junction box inline to make the splices, but I'd rather avoid that if I can.

Has anyone ever done this? If so, I'd love to know how you did it. What ballast did you use? How did you accomplish the connection between the fixture and the new ballast?

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Many ballasts have proprietary male and female sockets..... Many times you are stuck having to replace ballast and lamp socket.....

It is a nice DIY though!

4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Really, all you have to do is change out the ballast unit for a larger one, I would suggest a dual 250W to make it easier. You can remove the wire harness from your current ballast, given you know how to resolder them into your new ballast, this way you can use the current inline 3-pin connection that Coralife uses. You will also need to upgrade the HQI connector, since 250W uses a different form factor than the 150W, they are wider. FYI, 250W and 400W uses the same type of connector.

1 person likes this.
  5. ReefSparky

Thanks for the heads-up on the form factor difference. If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have known.

1 person likes this.
  6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

(if I understand your question) I got rid of mine and hard wired the ballast directly into my light. I do have a quick dis-connect at the ballast itself though.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

Got rid of what, Casey?

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

The pig-tail (as I would call it).

11. tbpb3

tbpb3 Astrea Snail

12. ReefSparky

Has anyone purchased a dual-250W ballast? Any recommendations on company? Price? Thanks!