upgrading from 45 to 75

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by seawillow, Oct 7, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

Hopefully this coming weekend I will be all set to make the switch from my 45 gal. to my new 75RR. My problem is: the 75 is going in the same location as the 45. My plan is to have lots of water made, have lots of rubbermaids ready and just start removing the contents of the tank. I do have a 20 gal. refugium that is going to be left intact, so therefore, I can use that for my polyps and zoos. After all LR, critters, etc are removed, move tank out of way and set up the 75... and then put everything back in...I am adding nothing new to tank, except water....but I'm concerned about the tank cycling and everything going into a tailspin...any suggestions from anyone who has done this before?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...maybe I'm worrying needlessly :-/

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Make sure you keep as much of your old water as possible. There shouldn't be any cycle but the waste that has been trapped in your sand bed will be stirred up pretty good. So you will probably see some spike in Ammo and Nitrite. But the best advise I could give you is to skip the 75 and go to 90 or 120. You know you want to ::) ::) ;D

4. seawillow

hi Jakets....I am gonna save as much as the water as possible. Hopefully the spike won't be too bad, though. I like your advice, but the 75 is sitting in the garage, ready and waiting...right now I'm kinda cramped for space, too many tanks... :) But, ya you are right..I want to!!!! ;)

5. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

it will spike but....ever tried Hagen's Cycle? It worked for me. Kept fishes alive. My corals are hardy anyway (elegance, brains, rics)

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

How are you handleing the foot print difference from the 45 to the 75? Meaning are you adding sand or LR? Be sure to amke up the water ahead of time to fill the void paying attention to temp salinity and if not using ro or di make sure to use a conditioner. I have moved tanks, sold tanks and moved a lfs without loss of fish/corals I save water but more importantly your bacteria beds need to be preserved one thing usually forgotten is when the tank is settling in you stand a chance of nukeing your lr if you don't move the sand and stuff settling on it. I usually use a turkey baster (plastic-from the Dollar store) twice a day during the settling time .

7. seawillow

Update on 75....well, the move was made from the 45 to the 75 five weeks ago. It went amazingly well with just one minor leak in the plumbing that was fised with no problem. I left the fish in the holding tank for a few days and all other critters in the refugium. I added Southdown that I had and also some more live sand that was given to me. The amount of rock worked out pretty well (over 100 lbs), but I am going to add more in the future. Put everything back in main tank after 4 days or so. Water parameters have been awesome....no spikes at all.....guess I worried needlessly. I sure am happier with the 75 though. As for the 45, it is in the process of being turned into a FOWLR. I added about 90 lbs. of sand to that today, but I'm going slow and taking my time. I'll get some rock and just let it cycle 'til after the holidays...

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Great to hear everything went so well. Being so worried and asking for suggestions could have been part of the reason it went so well. Knowledge is power [smiley=gossip.gif] [smiley=helmet.gif]

Can you share some pics of the new Tank?

J

10. seawillow

Will definately share some pics after I resize them. .....Thanks, BTW....

11. seawillow

Pic posted in my album.....will take more soon!! :)

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Very cool, can't wait to see more!