Upgrading Fixture AGAIN!!! First MH fixture!!

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by HollyG, Apr 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

lol Yea I know :p
    But I have read online that this fixture is better only as accent or supplimental lighting. Would it be suffice for my high light Acros? Like you said, it is just a 10gal :p lol I just wanna make sure my acros color back up and I get decent growth.
    My electricity is included with rest so I'm not worried about that lol

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Get the rapid led kit and you will be much more happy as will your corals. You can get everything for a dimmable kit, including heatsink, for about 200. This will give you more flexibility, still be able to work for a 20 gallon upgrade and save you money each month on electricity

4. HollyG

I actually found a 4 bulb 24" aquaticlife T5 fixture with built in timer and 8 bulbs, some never used and a couple used for only 3 months for $125. The legs can adjust down to 20" so I think the acros will be much happier and if I want to down the road I can upgrade to a 20gal! :D The guy lives only 15 mins away, so I don't have to pay for any shipping or taxes or anything.

5. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Sounds like a solid deal! Good find

6. HollyG

Thanks! Now I just need to find the spectrum I like :D I'm gunna put my 3 led strips (33 LEDs all together) on this fixture and get to play around with all the bulbs that come with it (hopefully they are ones I like) and find the right coloration that make all the corals pop! I will probably be doing it for hours! LOL Hubby is away for over 2 weeks for training (military) so I need to have at some kind of fun while he's away ;) This will do it for me LOL. * I'm not a creep I swear * LOL

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Glad you went another route. I believe I have seen a 10gal with a 250w halide on RC. The guy had a big chiller and the light was several feet over it. There was tons of light spill. It was.... silly?

I had a 70w halide with 2 T5s over a 20 long. That was perfect IMO and I grew SPS.

I think you made a great choice. Please start a new thread when you get it and you should rename this one... ;)

matt