Upgrading a 72 gal. to a 180 gal.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by packagerat, May 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Way to go man...Now I need to upgrade my 72...We installed a 125 Malawi Cichlid a few weeks back now maybe I can get my 300....8)

2. Click Here!

3. packagerat

packagerat Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The final rough in of framing installed

[​IMG]

After 6 months of planning and work!
    Inital fill to check for leaks

[​IMG]

more updates coming soon

4. packagerat

Man a 300 would be cool to have.

5. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Yeah, I can't wait...LOL...Your pics are looking good...

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Great to see you moving up to a larger tank, you will be glad you did once it is running as a 180 is perfect for a reef due to the depth of the tank for aqua-scaping. Now you need to decide what you are going to keep in the tank??? If you are going to set SPS's in there then you need a big pump downstairs to use for equipment as well as returning water as I like to keep all pump external from the water due to heat and electrocution if the pump shorts out.
    Your stand looks very nice. I done all my work myself as I like the self gratification you get when it's done. My father came over and helped with the big stuff and kept me out of trouble making mistakes. ;)
    Keep the pics coming on the update. ;D

Wanting a 300g is nice but things change when you get over the 180g mark and $$$$ seems to come into play on equipment to run it.

I hope that the window that is beside it doesn't have sunlight that will shine on the tank. If so then you will have algae problems like crazy.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  7. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Nice looking setup man, I hate all you crafty people that can cut a straight line in wood.... I failed shop in high school....
    not really but I suck at carpentry good thing my wife works for a millwork shop :)

Grats on the new setup man. what you doing with the old 72?

Oh yeah, and Otty has a good point, You'll want to put blackout curtains over that window, natural sunlight causes all kinds of problems

8. Click Here!

9. packagerat

Initally the tank looked huge when we set it up cause its where the 72 was. Now I think it looks good but wife still looks and kind of shakes her head :eek:
    The window is on the North side of the house and it has blinds that block the light. The 72 sat there and did not have an algae problem untill I moved it downsatars to make room. The hair algae really took off I think from the sand bed getting stirred up a bit. I plan on using a Pan World 200 ps for a return pump.

10. packagerat

After the 180 gets all parameters in check I plan on selling it with the sump

11. packagerat

Some more updates

[​IMG]
    210 lbs of live rock curing lfs has had it curing for 2 months so hopefully cycle wont be long

[​IMG]

plumbing from underneath heading to basement sump

[​IMG]

Sump in place with return pump installed

12. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

What kind of lights are you going to use on that beauty ?