Upgrade to 120Gs: Quiet is Key

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by magnetar68, Jan 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Holy... Looks really nice.. Do you mind me asking how much the main tank cost?

2. Click Here!

3. magnetar68

magnetar68 Astrea Snail

Well, it's not cheap. I don't know how much each piece costs since it is an all-in price: i got the custom rimless tank to my very nit-pick detailed specs, stand, very custom sump, and shipping from Chicago to San Fran (no tax) for $3495 all-in.

An off-the-shelf 125W TruVu is ~$2K for the tank+stand(nicer)+sump+shipping+tax(CA). But, IMHO, it really needs a canopy since it's not rimless, so it more like $2350. But it's not rimless and not an external overflow and not a custom sump designed for my chosen skimmer and return pump.

A more comparable quote would be for a custom rimless glass tank. For a glass rimless similar to this I got all-in quotes from $3100 to $4500, depending on the vendor (three-side starphire). This included shipping and stand but not a custom sump, so that's another $400-700.

So this option was on average cheaper than the rimless glass tanks with my overflow design but considerably more expensive than the off-the-shelf acrylic. But getting the exact tank and sump that I wanted down to every last detail: priceless :)

It's easy to justify things when we really want them. I figure I'll have the tank for 10+ years, so given all the money I put into this hobby, what's another ~$100 a year for the next 10 years?

4. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Wow that is an amazingly beautiful tank your getting there!!! They really did a good job on it, that overflow with the slot for egg crate is ingenious, your going to be using black egg crate there right? I like the way you do math... no it wasn't 3500 just an extra $30 a month for the next ten years haha :D Pics when you get the tank are a def must!!!

5. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Thanks for the cost break down. I knew it was gonna be $$ but wow. Def following.

6. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

hey just curious how is the build coming along :D

7. magnetar68

magnetar68 Astrea Snail

Well, the tank is in the family room, but I have been swamped with work and vacation for the past 4 weeks. I am hoping to have more time to get to it now. I plan to have it setup by the end of August of all goes well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Wow that looks amazing!!!!!

10. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

System design is fun! Def. following along here. I'm not sure I'm getting the baffle/bubble trap design in your sump. Seems common practice is to have three baffles with an over/under/over arrangement. Looks as though you have two that are attached to the bottom. Are there holes in there that I'm not seeing or something?

Looking forward to your progress. Sweet tank!

11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Wow....this is amazing...and there isn't even water in it yet! :D A lot has happened in the past 2 months.

12. magnetar68

magnetar68 Astrea Snail