Updated pics

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by map95003, Aug 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

Very very nice tank... I'm surprised no one has asked this yet but tell us what you think is the most important thing you've done with your tank to make it look as perfect and beautiful as it is. Is it the calcium reactor? Lugols? Lighting?
    I think everyone would agree that this tank is what most of us think of when we say, I want a saltwater tank.

2. Click Here!

3. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

Thanks Jon. I wish there was a simple answer but I'll give it a shot. In the 12 yrs I've been into saltwater I've had 4 tanks and I've made lots of mistakes with my first tank, the biggest one being rushing into things and looking for quick results. The reefers that I think did it right all say the same thing:
    • Take it slow, allow your tank to cycle, add livestock slowly allowing the system to adjust to the changes.
    • Research everything prior to buying if you can.
    • QT all your fish, if you can afford a QT setup for everything and have the room for it, QT corals and fish. If you can't QT corals, at least dip them prior to adding to your main tank. IMO the wrong QT setup can actually do more harm than good. I've never QT'd a coral, snail, crab, shrimp (last coral banded I added being an exception because I had another fish in QT) or pod, but if you have the right QT setup to accommodate everything, I don't see a problem with it.
    • Don't overstock, or if you do make sure you have the filtration to handle it. Keep fish adult size in mine when adding - as you can see, I'll need a bigger tank soon.
    • Maintenance - you have to keep up on maintenance, especially in the beginning, it gets easier as your tank matures. Use RODI water, choose a good salt mix and keep up on WC.
    • Lighting: Knowing what lighting is needed for the corals you plan to keep. For example, initially I had MH lighting and I got great results, however I prefer T5s for the corals I currently have and the depth of my current tank - less heat, more varity in bulb combination to bring out the colors in your corals, longer bulb life, lower electric bill, etc.
    • Depending on need, pick a dosing method and try to maintain it. I currently have a CA reactor but by no means do I believe I get better results because of it, it's just less time consuming for someone with a busy schedule. I actually believe a good 2-part is better if you have the time.
    • Try not to mess with the tank too much, from my experience the less I play around with stuff or add stuff, the better my results.
    • Additives - make sure you do your research, and by that I don't mean seeing someone on a forum using it and deciding to use it based on their experience. Try to determine your need, read and ask questions prior to adding anything to your tank. Yes, I do dose Lugals (iodine) in small amounts, I think it helps with the colors in my tank, however, it's VERY dangerous so make sure you know what you're doing prior to trying something like this.
    • Do your research on equipment, don't take shortcuts on the important ones like skimmers, good bulbs, return pumps, etc. I've learned it's better to wait, save some more $$ and get the right thing. At the same time, there's lots of "stuff" on the market, you don't need all of it.
    • Have fun with your tank, don't stress over every little thing - that usually trigger panic and the addition of something you probably shouldn't add. Treat even tank problems as a learning experience.
    That's all that comes to mind, anyone else please feel free to correct me or add anything you think is important.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  4. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

Good advice Martin! I try to follow those same guidelines.. I've got about 3 years into this hobby and it's only the beginning.. I suppose another part of the experience is making mistakes and learning from them..
    Do you have a schedule for wc etc? How about bulb/ ro filter replacement etc?

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Great advice. I have a 55 gal tank. I am currently running t5's. I have on order a Fiji Pink bulb, blue, and two whites, cant wait for it to arrive.
    What type of camera do you use?

6. map95003

The first few years of this current tank, I did bi-weekly 15% water changes. Now I do monthly 15-20% water changes due to a lack of time with the tank and also the system doesn't seem to need it bi-weekly.

I replace 1/2 of the T5 bulbs at a time, I usually run my bulbs for ~10 months.

As far as the RODI filters, I replace the carbon and sediment filters every 6 months, if more than 1/4 of the DI filter changes color I usually replace it at this time too. I replace the membrane every 2 yrs.

I'm a big fan of the KZ Fiji Purple bulb. I use a Nikon D80 body with a 60mm f2.8 macro lens. When taking pics I only run 4 of the 6 T5 bulbs because I don't care for the bluer tank look in pics, this is where the fiji purple in combination with ATI Blue+ and ATI Aquablue shine

7. map95003

over the last few months, I've been getting CA buildup on the air port of my skimmer (ASM) venturi. Usually I soak it in vinegar for a few hrs to dissolve it. About a month ago I used a piece of wire to scrape it off after soaking it for a few minutes.....big mistake, I scuffed up the surface, making it even easier for calcium to build up, so now I have to clean it almost weekly or it will clogg up, causing the skimmer to overflow dumping the skimmate back into the sump....time for a new venturi, anyone else using the ASM skimmers experience this CA buildup venturi problem?

8. Click Here!

9. fays88

fays88 Spaghetti Worm

hey mate i didn't see whether you mentioned it... can you please give me the specs of your tank??? coz im really amazed by the way your corals look under those t5s!!

10. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

This is the nicest tank I think I've ever seen. Your tank is very inspiring. I save this pic and have it as my background on my phone. As well, you use the Fiji purple bulb. I was due for a replacement of bulbs two weeks ago. Picked up the bulb and I love it. Thanks for the inspiration.

11. Indiana Boy

Indiana Boy Coral Banded Shrimp

MAP, your aquarium if very stunning. such a great shade to your lighting as well. it looks awesome

12. map95003

The tank is a 75g reef ready with starfire on the front. The T5 lighting isn't anything special, it's actually a cheapo fixture I bought about 3 yrs back as a temporary solution that ended up doing a great job by just replacing the bulbs. It's 3xWorkHorse5 electronic ballasts, with one sheet of polished aluminum bent to form individual reflectors. For bulbs I use ATI Blue+, ATI Aquablue, KC Fiji Purple and UVL Super Actinic. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try my best to help. I'll post some pics below, if you compare them to the first set of pics in this thread you'll see the difference in growth in just 4 months.

Thank you for the kind words. I like the Fiji Purple bulb, it makes a hugh difference in the colors and has good PAR too.

Thanks, I thought I posted these updated pics on this thread recently but I couldn't find them...here are a few I took earlier this month, they are a bit blury because the fish wouldn't stay still long enough for me to get a good shot...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011