(Updated clear pics) Newbies attempt at aquascaping so far

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by NYGiants, Aug 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

You dont need to use eggcrate or pvc it is an option not everyone does your fine with what you have done.

2. Click Here!

3. NYGiants

NYGiants Coral Banded Shrimp

Ok good... on a side note though I woke up this morning and decided to re-aquascape AGAIN!!!

I think I'm addicted and need some help!

I took the big rock in the 1st pick and broke into two rocks and also brought out a drill and made a hole through it so that fish can swim in and out, not to mention added another bridge or two ...

Waters a bit cloudy again so I will wait a few hours and post the updated pics...

4. telstar

telstar Fire Worm

You obviously have not seen what happens when your rocks fall due to sand shifting either from your fish or from your flow.

5. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

You do not HAVE to put your rocks on eggcrate or PVC. If you add the rock first and the rock is directly on the glass and then put in your sand it achieves the same effect. The rock is stable and any sand shifting will not cause a rock slide. I have almost 200 lbs of LR directly on my glass with sandsifters and pistol shrimp and have never had any issues. And that is also with 2 very active triggers and 2 tunze's rocking the water flow.

That being said, some people will choose to use eggcrate or the PVC as an extra precautionary measure. It does not hurt and if it will make you feel better, by all means do it. IMO.

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I agree. You wont get a rock slide just because you dont have PVC.
    But you can always take an extra precautionary measures, but you dont HAVE to..
    i have over 150lbs of rock in my tank without any pvc or anything. You just have to make sure that you have a good base and you should be fine.

7. NYGiants

NYGiants Coral Banded Shrimp

Updated: see first post for my new aquascape and let me know what you think!